Hash, Inc. Forums

LiteRig IK Not Working Properly

markw

Hi I'm hoping someone good at rigging can help me with my current project/problem.

I am trying to install the LiteRig into a model.

All seems to go well after exporting until you do any the following with the new model:

Turning on right arm IK screws up the mesh on the right arm and also activates left arm IK.

Turning on left arm IK seems not to work at all.

Turning on legs IK flips the feet upside-down but not the toes.

I have also tried exporting various earlier versions of this model at different stages of rigging and CP waiting, all seem to exhibit the same results.

As far as I can recall I followed the rig install instructions properly. But its always possible I screwed up something somewhere along the line.

Before exporting I only added 2 new bones as children of the Shoulder Bones. They follow the same orientation as the Bicep Bones but do not store roll. These are there to prevent the shirt sleeves of the model from twisting with the bicep. And SmartSkin on shoulders, knees, upper thighs and tummy.

The the attached .prj contains the model before export, Niki8-MirroredBones and the resulting model after export, Niki8-expMirrorBones8c.

LiteRig_Export_Problem.prj

At first glance I can see that your right arm IK relationship contains references to left arm bones/controls - you would have to delete those and make sure the right bone constraints stuff was ok as well. I haven't investigated any further into left arm IK relationship, nor the legs IK either. I'm not off hand that familiar with the steps of installing literig (did it a long time ago) - It's hard to tell from your descriprtion as to what went wrong, where in your process of following the installation instructions.

Have you opened up the relationships (edit the relationship) and tried to correct them?

leftarmIKinrightarmIKrelati.jpg

more info - Looks to me like the constraints in the IK leg relationship are funny, especially the "AIM roll" for the foot bones. I deleted them and the IK legs seems to work. Not sure what's going on there as the the targets don't show when I try to recreate the AIM roll constraints.

DeleteAimRoll.jpg

Well Nancy, thanks for the reply. I really don't know how stuff has got so messed up in the folders you are looking in. I'v not opened those folders, there being nothing in them that I should need to fiddle with in the normal run of events.

It occurs to me that outside of the LiteRig install instructions, as given, I used the Mirror Bones plugin and Mirror Smart Skin to take care of the left side of the model after I had done the right. But if that is the cause, I'v never had it mess with constraints like this before.

Would really like to know what cased this so it doesn't happen again.

Have started to look through and compare my model against the RobbyLight example model and try and fix things but this really isn't my field.

I hate rigging :angry:

Forget a "Make Dragon" button give me a "Rig Model" one any day ;)

Nancy beat me to it. Nice character by the way!

Steve

Thanks Shelton but I have to be honest and say that she is not totally mine but a re-modelling of a character I found in the Extras DVD just called "Woman", which was very similar to the look I already had in mind.

If I have time to take part (and getting this mess sorted out won't help), I'm hoping to use her in the upcoming community project.

It occurs to me that outside of the LiteRig install instructions, as given, I used the Mirror Bones plugin and Mirror Smart Skin to take care of the left side of the model after I had done the right. But if that is the cause, I'v never had it mess with constraints like this before.

Would really like to know what cased this so it doesn't happen again.

Have started to look through and compare my model against the RobbyLight example model and try and fix things but this really isn't my field.

I hate rigging :angry:

Forget a "Make Dragon" button give me a "Rig Model" one any day ;)

I feel your pain. I dread it as well. There are only a few, as far as I can tell, who actually enjoy rigging.

It is rare, rare, rare for me (if ever) that there hasn't been some tweaking, fixing up, customization that needs to be done with the installation of any of the general solution rigs. That's a mighty tough order. Would love to see that button as well. But then it needs to be maintained, someone to run to when it doesn't work. Software changes, plug-ins change, people leave, button no longer works.

It's kind of a dilemma. General installation solutions seem to end up with a more complicated rig than necessary, and the innards, workings get obscured from the user. The literig, 2008 rig are the easiest to hack. I found it more helpful to break the literig, 2008 rig into separate parts, and then pick & choose which parts I preferred from each.

Until there is a supported general method (and people live forever), I think it's best to understand the basic parts and be able to look under the hood. Unfortunately for me, if I'm not doing rigging on a regular basis, it seems like starting over each time.

Finally got Niki working :yay:

Thanks Nancy for pointing me in the right direction for where to start fixing things.

The easiest were the feet, as that was due to the feet bones having the wrong Z rotation set when I placed them. It pays to not only double check but also triple check if not quadruple check these things ;)

For the arms, as you suggested, I deleted all references to the left arm that showed up in the right arm relationships.

I have still not been able to stop this from happening every time I export a model but at least its quick to fix afterwards.

I also seem to have an extra null between the feet called "Body Controls" that is not in RobbyLite? It moves both feet/legs together in IK which is handy but for some strange reason the hands are children of this as well?

The odd mesh deformation that happened turning on IK in the right arm of the model in the PWS, I think is related to the 2 bones I added for controlling the shirt sleeves. Though as far as I understand the instal instructions this should not be a problem. But as I say rigging isn't my thing.

But some driving instructions might not go amiss for this LiteRig.

For the freshly exported model in the PWS, do not turn on IK arms or feet. Just leave them alone!

The hide extra bones, show lower spine and things do seem safe enough though to set there.

When animating with this rig to switch IK on and off, if/when you need it, there is a bone between the models feet called "short cut to (model's name)", clicking this will call up the properties window for the model's shortcut in the Chor and it is in there that you should turn on/off IK settings and only in there.

For this model at any rate, turning on/off IK in the Chor has no adverse or unexpected affects on the model unlike in the actual model in the PWS. (so far, touch wood...)

And now I have a rigged model :) Well almost, there's still the face to look forward to…

That's great! Will have a look at it later, as I'm probably also going to be dwelling in the valley of rigging again, shortly.

However, off to Zumba class for me in a bit - cha cha cha

(I also have used parts of literig face rig, and found I changed stuff around as well