Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toon Boom's 'Flip Boom Doodle' (Free until 1 February)

Rodney

• Admin

I don't think anyone will think of Toon Boom Doodle as anything other than software for kids but I want to make sure the word gets about about this (limited time) offer.

My suggestion is to help every kid you know get access to this software.

At least if they have it on their computer and have the desire, they can animate something with it.

Oldsters like me can even use it to quickly time a scenes (it exports to .MOV and SWF format).

I wish I could get every kid who will ever use A:M to download and install this because it can help tremendously with their sense of timing for animation.

Some features:

Drawing Tools: Select tool, Brush tool, Eraser tool, Templates, Adjustable line width

Coloring Tools: Colour picker, Brush tool, Bucket tool, Bright color selection,

Editing Tools: Cut/Copy/Paste tool, Undo tool, Bring to Front tool, Send to Back tool

Animating Tools: Play button, Add/Copy page, See previous drawing.

Draw Behind tool: Drawing slider

Sharing Tools: Print drawings, Save as movie, Upload on iPod, Upload on YouTube, Share on Facebook

(I don't see Onion skin mentioned and it also has that)

Reommendation: Get this onto the computers and into the hands of to those who want to learn animation.

Teachers of animation... get the word out... save some poor kid 28 bucks!

http://newest-download.blogspot.com/2012/0...oodle-with.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin
Very cool,I downloaded it and tinkered with it .

Using the onion skin feature it's fun to draw two extremes, one for the starting position and one for the ending, and then fill in a breakdown between the two. Then it's just a matter of going in and inbetweening those two sets, adding additional inbetweens to slow down motion and removing excess to quick the pace again.

It's helps also to think of opposite directions.

Draw the first drawing.

Draw the second drawing.

But rather than draw the breakdown drawing mechanically in between those two, draw it further out and in the opposite direction from the desired ending. This builds in a sense of anticipation. Then inbetween those two sets of extremes.

It's good to number each drawing two and the standard recommendation is to use only odd numbers.

Circle the key drawings so that you are reminded to hit those poses.

In many cases we'll find that we did not push those key poses far enough to get a full performance.

So, redraw the key pose based on the new goal and set aside/delete the old pose.

Now would be a good time to save out/render the drawings to a .MOV.

When it comes to coloring in the drawings, this little program has clued me in to some approaches that I should have been using a long time ago to gain a sense of depth in 2D drawing.

You quickly run up against the limitations in the program but what I like about it is that it forces me to keep the ideas simple and flowing.

Hope that makes sense.

• Admin

Yet another thing that is useful is to understand what the red and green color represents in the Onion skinning.

Red being the shape of where you have been (on the last frame)

...and Green representing where you are going (on the next frame)

This is incredibly useful is knowing how to quickly know where to lay down your next line.

Often you can place the new inbetween exactly in between the red and the green but you have to consider acceleration and the force behind the movement. If there is any speed at all to the move then we'll usually want to favor the former position (Red) where we are accelerating from. Whereas if we are slowing into a stop we want to target the Green.

Pretty useful.

I might check that out for my daughter. I used ToomBoom: Studio to make gwen before I made her 3D and a lot of big name studios use ToonBoom: Animate for their stuff. Get the young ones playing with this and who knows where they'll end up in the future.

• Admin

Kidstuff. Funstuff. Same same.

Doodled this amongst some other storyboarding-type exploration today:

Note: Doodle doesn't save to .gif animation but it does save to quicktime, swf etc. where it can be converted to other things.

Apparently the Doodle format can open in other Toon Boom products so I'll have to look into that.

(You'll probably have to click on the image to see the animation)

Tap_doodle.gif