Digital Painting

tbenefi33

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I think you are off to a good start.

Keep in mind that most people who work at the photorealistic level either sample the colors, tones and hues from the original or nowdays with photoshop just grab patches of color and mix them in.

I think at this point you'd be best served by concentrating on grayscale and tones. This is how you get a forms to come forward or recede backward.

Layers are key of course. Block in your dark areas, shape them, blend them, and new laters and do the same all over again.

I'm not saying this is improved but I think that since it moves away from the pink skin a little I'm satisfied with her skin a little more. I don't care for how the lightest areas have really bloomed out. It is several copies of your digital painting layered in over each other with multiple blurs, added noise, adjustments in saturation of color etc. I think if the highlights and tone were all there (such as at the cheeks then you could layer your painting to where it'd look like a photo. If those tones aren't there however then it's gonna be tough going.

So, my suggestion would be to work entirely in white, black and grays scales and once you are satisfied with that then create a new layer adjust the transparency or other settings a little and add the color.

Keep it up. I predict great things for you in digital art!

Added: I ran into this quote online (no author attributed):

When drawing the human form, the simple understanding of the geometric shapes and the overall tones are far more important than the details. Without this care in the main shapes and colours, the details won't work to your advantage. So, take immense care with the large, main shapes and colours of the body, and then the details will really take off.

tb.png

• Hash Fellow

• Admin

Outstanding example Robert!

I'm a big fan of the Art Center. Lots of great demonstrations of techique to be found there.

That grayscale technique is also used extensively with 3D rendering and lighting.

Color then is more of a matter of the surface quality that available light reflects back at us.

At one point the folks at Soulcage posted on their process of layering in color over grayscale/AO renderings.

With apologies to Jo and the good folks at Soulcage I've compiled the attachment for this occasion based on a description of their process many years ago. Since the introduction of EXR, AO passes etc. more recently I'm guessing they've streamlined their process even more buta t its core compositing is still compositing.

As demonstrated via the links Robert provided at The Art Center, the same layering techniques can (and often should) be applied in all digital art.

SoulcageCompositing.pdf

My New WIP Work in progress, My Uncle Rick.

Interesting start, but at first glance I would say the proportions are wrong. for example, the width of the head - too wide.

If you are going for a more accurate, realistic capture of your Uncle - you might try a little trick that will help you to draw/copy what the photo is showing versus what your brain is tricking you into "seeing". We all have automatic images in our mind as to what a "nose", ear, etc looks like, and we tend to draw the symbols, rather than the actual shapes particular to the person.

Here's the trick to get your brain to stop drawing the symbols, and instead start noticing the proportions of shapes, as well as their relative placements:

Turn the photo of your uncle upside down and then try to draw/copy your Uncle. You will most likely find that you are then just trying to draw shapes, tones without naming them, because they no longer look familiar to you, and you are forced to notice the relative proportions, lines, contours, postive, negative space. You will also most likely find yourself becoming bored. But stick with it, and go past the boredom, and into the zone of "timelessness". The boredom comes from the analytical brain fighting to not being turned off.

If you stick with it, you will most likely be quite surprised at how much better/closer the drawing will look.

Hello Nancy I done what you said I tried to see symbols need to work on that more then I took another copy of the photo and turned it up side down and started drawing that way which was pretty cool to do you see thing differently when up side down then like you said I got board I guess that whats happen to me when I start a 3d project I get board I put on some head phone and Pink Floyd I was all right.

I'm still tweaking on drawing but this is what I came up with using the up side down method you told me it helped me out.

Uncle_Rick_Face_3a.PNG

Once I get done with this one my next project going to be a 3d model of him.

I'm still tweaking on drawing but this is what I came up with using the up side down method you told me it helped me out.

Nice. Better! Still has some funnies with relative proportions, ie. nose too narrow, bottom of nose is too close to mouth, width of head too wide, ears placed too low.

The upside down method comes from the famous, old book "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain" by I believe, Betty Edwards. It's worth getting for anyone who wants to develop their drawing/seeing skills. It helped me immensely in getting hand/eye coordination to copy/recreate reality more closely. Once you master that technical skill, the next step is drawing what you WANT to see, rather than what actually exists, ie creating your own imaginative world, based on your characters, and caricatures.

Uncle_Rick_Face_3aDifferenc.jpg

A nifty technique my high school art teacher taught was to draw the light and then shade it in accordingly. Of course the more dynamic the lighting, theeasier it is to draw. In fact that might help a bit. An angle like you have there has little for dynamic lighting, so I'd throw it into Photoshop and play with the levels to give more of a contrast. Then with the new pic, start drawing, you may find it more helpful.

EDIT: A quick edit is to spend more time looking at your reference pic when drawing then actually looking at the drawing. You should really in theory only look down at the page (or computer screen) when you need to re-orient your drawing utensil. This help avoids what Nancy described earlier about drawing your preconceived notion of what things like noses look like for example.

This is an interesting project, but if you're serious about drawing, you need to move away from copying photos and try your hand at sketching from life, either people, a piece of furniture, a vase, or a simple house or building, your pet while it's resting. I know this may seem like a technical or academic point, but a photo has the light and shade already literally carved in stone, and no third dimension to guide your eye. In other words, decisions that you should be making as an artist have already been made by the camera and are completely out of your hands, so right away you start at a serious disadvantage.

Also, doing portraits/likenesses sets a pretty high bar from you right from the start, as they are very difficult even for trained artists. Sketch, do bad drawings, fill a sketchbook with idle attempts, loosen up, have fun. Try your uncle as a cartoon, a funny animal, exaggerate. Then come back and try the portrait again.

Don't worry about being good, just sketch sketch sketch!

Kinda inspired me to do this, it's always cool to see one's technique. It's not really my best effort or best drawing, but not bad considering I rarely sketch anymore :P Hopefully this might help a little, getting to see a sketch. Of course there's plenty of other great ones on Youtube, especially for digital painting.

Kinda inspired me to do this, it's always cool to see one's technique. It's not really my best effort or best drawing, but not bad considering I rarely sketch anymore :P Hopefully this might help a little, getting to see a sketch. Of course there's plenty of other great ones on Youtube, especially for digital painting.

Nice work

Seem like that where I have problem on the noise and mouth I'm gonna check amazon for the book or a local bookstore. From the middle photo I didn't realize how far I was off.

I got another I deal of a drawing of him, I wanna do it's kind of a inside joke we got going but if I show him he may beat me up or slap me

on the back of the head I may have to have yall for back up....LOL

Nice sketch on on the Video Darkwing.

• Admin

Some great suggestions being added into the mix here.

Not to distract you further but I'll tie this into A:M again while staying on the topic of digital painting and studying proportions.

A:M provides excellent tools to develop caricatures and design drawing templates for use in the 'real world'.

At the risk of having your Uncle slap me around too... here is an example of applying your Uncle's photo to a grid and then animating parts of that grid over time.

As you can see you can get some interesting proportions going and because we are manipulating the original photo most of the features retain a sense of the reality seen in the original photo. Of course the image can be further manipulated to create a sense that the image was hand drawn, inked, cel shaded... you are only limited by your imagination. It may not be Digital painting but it is digital photo manipulation (and that can provide the basis for a digital painting.

So, with apologies to your uncle...

UncleCaricatures.png