Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Stalled Trek 2012 —Finished!

largento

Thanks, guys! It's definitely an experience I'll remember for the rest of my life.

There were no surprise laughs, but I was surprised at how big some of them were. There was one gag I thought was funny, but in showing it to individuals never got a response. Not only did the audience get the joke, but it was a huge laugh. Also, there is one gag that is meant to be a little harsh as an inside joke. The noise the audience made was this bizarre combination of nervous laughter, a disapproving oh! And a sly ah! The combined sound was unforgettable. :-)

By far the biggest laugh came at the surprise reveal of Krok kissing T'Pomeranian. I thought the next line would have been the big line, but it almost got laughed over.

Still angry that I missed the first four minutes, but hopefully I'll get another chance to show it.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you thought of entering "Stalled Trek" in sci-fi film festivals? Ones that you could get to personally.

Perhaps after a suitable interval after you've run the course of other ways to promote it.

I haven't, Robert. To be honest, I didn't even know that kind of thing existed. I'll have to do some googling.

I help out with the odd VFX bit for a Star Trek fan series called Project Potemkin. Anyways, they're based in Atlanta Georgia I think and I know they were featured recently at some local conventions (some of which I think were primarily Trek cons) so they're definitely out there!

That said, can someone still get a DVD and if so, how much?

Mark, are you familiar with Withoutabox? It's a film festival website where you can learn EVERYTHING about every freakin film festival in the US. Sign up, start an account (or not, not sure if you can search the listings without joining) and you might be surprised how many festivals there are that you'd fit right into.

I came across that name when I was searching for festivals. I was looking at the local one and they require that the film have NOT been available on DVD on the Internet.

I'm not really into the idea of seeking awards for this. But it would be cool if it spread to getting shown at lots of cons. It seems like Star Trek cons aren't as big as they once were. I've even noticed that some Star Trek fan clubs have switched to genre clubs to include other shows.

I saw some of the cast at one called Trek Trax, I think. I'll have to look into it.

You can get the DVD at my Storenvy store. Stalled Trek DVD It's $10.

Thanks! Another quick question, it says I can pay with paypal, but is that limited to just a credit card or can I use money on my paypal account to pay for this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Okay, that was weird... I just left comments at the review site... and commented here... and both have disappeared.

That Paunk alien is up to something again.

Congrats on the review Mark.

That preview still holds up well! :)

Thanks, Rodney!

I gotta say I'm always amazed when folks respond so positively to it. Makes all the hard work worth it!

If I ever come to the end of this freelance job, I'm going to jump right into the web series. I'm just too tired after being in the office to leap into the heavy stuff. Hoping this week is the last.

Since this is where the action is at...

Back in mid-September when my Brother was visiting from Washington State (he's just outside Seattle), I had the chance to show him the Stalled Trek DVD. He loved it! He is the BIGGEST ST fan that I personally know. He knows things about TOS that blows my mind. He tells me something and I give him the "Where the @^$ did you learn that info from?" look.

So, if you can impress him, you've definitely got something here!

Can't wait to see how the webseries turns out! Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Better late than never, I finally made a trailer for Stalled Trek: Amutt Time!

You can see it

I must've tried a dozen times to do it and just had the dickens of a time trying to figure out how to do it. What do I show, what do I not show? It's a 16 minute movie, how do you make a trailer for that?

For some reason today I thought of an opening title card and just started writing down the whole thing. It changed very little from what I put together.

The beauty part is now I have the trailer embedded on my Storenvy product page, which is something I've long wanted to have. How do you sell a DVD without showing a video?

• 5 months later...

Woke up with this morning with the urge to release Amutt Time into the wild!

Although I'll continue to sell DVDs, you can now watch it for free on YouTube!

Just go

!

Be sure to "like" it and make comments.

I'm kinda' hoping this will give me a boost towards finishing The Wobbling Dead. A little encouragement goes along way when you're working alone in a vacuum.

Thanks, guys!

Just looking for a bit of a boost and hoping to attract some Trek fans that might really dig what I did. By coincidence, today is actually the anniversary of the first airing of Amok Time (the episode I was lampooning.) Weird how that happened.

I submitted the link to Reddit and emailed a few Trek sites.

I watched it when I uploaded it to make sure it looked okay and hadn't seen it in awhile. I've long since lost objectivity, but I did marvel to myself that I'd really done it after all those years of dreaming about doing it...

Thanks, Gerry.

I don't think Stalled Trek will ever be a runaway success. It appeals to a small audience and it isn't edgy or hip. Still, I look at it with some level of pride. It was definitely something I've wanted to do for a large part of my life and I finally did it. Thinking about it, I always flash to that guy in the audience at the convention it was shown at who asked the first question afterwards. "Why?" I guess the real answer is this was more for me than for everyone else.

I still don't know yet if YouTube will let me set it to have ads. They sent me a form letter saying they may want proof of my rights. I've got a signed contract with the composer giving me perpetual rights to the soundtrack and I can always get statements from my two female friends who did a couple of the voices. The only tricky part, I guess, would be if they didn't believe me that I did everything else.

Still, I look at it with some level of pride. It was definitely something I've wanted to do for a large part of my life and I finally did it. Thinking about it, I always flash to that guy in the audience at the convention it was shown at who asked the first question afterwards. "Why?" I guess the real answer is this was more for me than for everyone else.

There is no doubt about it, you can be proud of it.

Unfortunately, I am not your audience, so most (all?) of the jokes were lost on me. But I marvel at the effort that went into this project.

It is my experience that the process of doing/learning and becoming proficient in anything, including animation, is more satisfying to the doer than the observer, and that includes Pixar, disney, etc.

You might find that there is more of a paying audience for teaching others how to do their own projects. Your quick start illustrations for A:M were outstanding. Perhaps you could use these Trek puppet/characters and maybe some of the Wobbly dead ones in tutorials (animated, or illustrations), and perhaps your tutorials should be aimed at other subjects (besides A:M, besides animation). For example purposes only: Gardening, cooking, piloting aircraft, math, plumbing, baby sitting, living cheaply, brain surgery, etc - you pick the subject. Make them ridiculous, or make them truly informative? But of course, always humorous.

I couldn't resist putting in my 2 centavos, but I also expect to see the response with a link to a youtube video of Ol' Blue eyes singing "my way"

LOL, no Sinatra this time, Nancy. :-)

I've given thought to what else might be done with the concept. I think one of it's strengths is that it can be turned around quickly, which allows for doing something that releases regularly. I'd love to be able to do some kind of weekly thing, but the haven't found that reason for doing it that isn't just an excuse to do it.

Teaching/tutorial type things aren't out of the options, but not being a teacher, they don't excite me a lot.

Everything is on hold right now, since I'm way behind on The Wobbling Dead and can't really think about doing anything until it's finished.

• Hash Fellow
Unfortunately, I am not your audience, so most (all?) of the jokes were lost on me. But I marvel at the effort that went into this project.

A Star Trek satire is mostly a boy thing. What sort of things do girls like to see satires of? I have no idea.

A Star Trek satire is mostly a boy thing. What sort of things do girls like to see satires of? I have no idea.

Have you been to a comiccon lately? There as many woman as men at those things now. Nerdy is in these days, and the media market on a whole is starting to take notice.

Mad Magazine's demographic was abundantly male. Star Trek has always had a very large number of female fans. I hesitate to say that satire doesn't appeal to women, because Mad was written by men for men.

The younger crowd know the original series only really by reputation. I don't think many of them have watched it and was told so by many of them at the cons. Their parents watched it, but not them.

All I can speak to are my preferences and guess at the preferences of some of my women friends (which aren't always the same as mine). I definitely can't speak for the younger crowd of girls growing up today.

BUT I love satire! but I don't care for parody in general (as I found out, by googling the difference). To quote one website:

A parody imitates a work of art, literature, or music for the purpose of making playful fun or a joke of the original work

I think that places "The Stalled Trek" in the parody category.

I am not a rabid fan-girl of any piece of art, etc. I can enjoy the art, but I don't have posters, action toys, etc hanging around at home. I am not a fan of Star Trek, sci-fi, vampires, zombies, horror movies, nor...um...er...here's a little secret: animation in general. I like to DO animation and dabble in it, but I don't necessarily like to watch it, especially full length features of animation. The only ones I have enjoyed were "Ratatouille", "Mary & Max", and "Cinderella" (nostalgia probably, since it was my first one). Must be others, but none rise to the surface at this moment.

Satire is a form of comedy that is designed primarily to poke fun at specific foibles or flaws in people or institutions, largely in an attempt to draw attention and, in some cases, evoke change...Most satire is directed at politicians, religious leaders, and others in the public sphere. It often features characters who represent exaggerated versions of the person or persons being targeted. Satire is based on truth, but depends on irony, wit, and sarcasm to expose weakness and other flaws.

So I love Monty Python, Woody Allen comedies, SNL, Jon Stewart, Big Bang Theory, mockumentaries. I enjoy stand-up comedians who make fun of themselves as well as making social commentary. I enjoyed MAD growing up, but grew out of it.

So to sum it up: I might enjoy a satire/mockumentary that might be: "Aging Old lady geek, wearing tiara, cinderella costume and carries magic wand, interviews aging geeks who attend Comic-con, and dress up as superheroes and dominatrices". Worlds would collide, no one gets out unroasted.

Stalled Trek is most definitely parody. It even says so in the box.

Parody is protected by the law. Satire is not. :-)

That said, I love parody. I love satire, too, but that's a broader net. Parody is specific. Like a knock knock joke.

• Hash Fellow

Well, I wasn't aware of the difference of satire vs. parody. That's an interesting distinction. I'd agree that Mark is doing parody which means Nancy just isn't into it. :lol:

I'd have to say that my general world-view of female taste was informed by my older sister's ridicule of the boys at her college who would rush out of class at the end of the day to watch Star Trek. She couldn't imagine why anyone would want to watch such a thing.

That was about 1970 and I'll admit I haven't made much of an effort to expand my knowledge of female tastes since then.

But back to work on your Zombies, Mark! I still need to know what sort of picture to send you for my zombie.

I'd have to say that my general world-view of female taste was informed by my older sister's ridicule of the boys at her college who would rush out of class at the end of the day to watch Star Trek. She couldn't imagine why anyone would want to watch such a thing.

I'm with her. My thoughts exactly.

More likely, I'll bet she was rushing back to the dorm to watch the daytime soaps. Not me of course...OK, OK!...With only 1 TV, what else could I have done, besides get hooked? I'm cured now.

• 2 weeks later...

did i already mention that i love this? even though i´m not a star trek fan at all, never watched it, never liked it. ok, as a kid i watched it, but only because there was not much of a choice to watch when i was a kid.

i loved star wars though, even so much i have the suspicion watching to much star wars might be the reason i´m still wearing hoodies.

greatest respect for making a such a long piece of animation all by yourself! it´s funny, the dialogues are great, and you did catch the visual lighting mood of the original. i guess that´s what i like most about it.

but there´s one thing i´ve asked myself right from the beginning: why don´t the females have puppet faces like the male characters?

If you have, Sebastian, I never get tired of hearing it. :)

The females don't have giant mouths because I find it makes them look like men in drag. :-) I get this a lot and always point back to all of the cartoon precedence for male characters having big mouths and women having tiny ones. Unless the female character is supposed to be unattractive.

Just imagine how ugly Wilma Flintstone would be with Fred's mouth.

If you have, Sebastian, I never get tired of hearing it. :)

The females don't have giant mouths because I find it makes them look like men in drag. :-) I get this a lot and always point back to all of the cartoon precedence for male characters having big mouths and women having tiny ones. Unless the female character is supposed to be unattractive.

Just imagine how ugly Wilma Flintstone would be with Fred's mouth.

i had the suspicion that this was your reason, and i kinda get it... ;) but when i first watched this, i was surprised when the first female character showed up, because i expected something more like her: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010...e-MuppetsTV.png

i had the suspicion that this was your reason, and i kinda get it... ;) but when i first watched this, i was surprised when the first female character showed up, because i expected something more like her: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010...e-MuppetsTV.png

Janice was exactly what I DIDN'T want to do. :-)

I always thought this female puppet from the ballroom dance sequences was a better solution: 121-9.jpg

Y'know, Jost, I'm coming to this conclusion:

Everybody thinks that something on the web should be free. Especially short films. I do think that feature films have a better shot at some kind of pay on demand, but it's hard to price a 15 minute movie. If a 2 hour feature is $10, does that mean a 1 hour film should be $5 and a half hour film be $2.50 and a 15-minute film be $1.25?

Even if it's only a tiny cost, they won't pay. Yet, if it's tangible, ie exists in the real world, they will consider paying large amounts for it.

I think for The Wobbling Dead, I'm going to continue the DVDs in person route.

I don.t know.

Maybe its worth some more trying.

My son plays "Clash of clans" on the i-pad and many times, if he gets stuck, he ask me to buy some jewls for him.

And I go : well o.k. If it doesnt cost that much, here you go.

From that expierience: make your clips of wobbling dead about 3 minutes long and available for free with cliffhangers and just charge evry third episode or so with a very small amount lets say 1.99 € and see what happens.

Maybe have a look at Vimeo at other peoples offers and if and how they work.

You still are quite a pioneer on this terrain.

Good luck!

Y'know, Jost, I'm coming to this conclusion:

Everybody thinks that something on the web should be free. Especially short films. I do think that feature films have a better shot at some kind of pay on demand, but it's hard to price a 15 minute movie. If a 2 hour feature is $10, does that mean a 1 hour film should be $5 and a half hour film be $2.50 and a 15-minute film be $1.25?

Even if it's only a tiny cost, they won't pay. Yet, if it's tangible, ie exists in the real world, they will consider paying large amounts for it.

I think for The Wobbling Dead, I'm going to continue the DVDs in person route.

I have been trying to monetize content on the web for years now. First with a web version of a printed magazine, to news papers, etc. Now I'm working in the direction of creating a studio blog post and adding advertising content. I use wordpress (free) my own domain (few bucks a month) and google adwords. It takes some work getting the SEO set, but in time it could generate a decent revenue stream for you. If you want we can chat about a good approach (perhaps another forum thread since others might be interested in the same thing) or offline. But, it is the most common approach now a days to monetize content on the web.

I kind of went that route with The Wannabe Pirates and Greyhawk and the Starbucklers, Paul. The original sites were built ontop of Wordpress, using the comicpress plug-in. I did my advertising through Project Wonderful instead of Google Adwords, but the results were pretty much the same. Small page views equal small advertising returns.

Add into it they were mostly images (the comics themselves) and I found that I needed to go back and transcribe every strip in order to show up in search engines. I worried over it for awhile, using tools in Google Adsense to find keywords and terms to try to improve things, but the bottom line is you gotta' have lots of eyes on your page to make that model work and my stuff wasn't attracting them.

I tell you one thing that is frustrating, YouTube won't put ads on my Stalled Trek video because they don't believe I own the material. It's not so much the money, since it hasn't garnered that many views, it's that they are in a sense, accusing me of wrong-doing. I suppose I could try to push the matter with them, but it hasn't seemed like a high priority.