Hash, Inc. Forums

How strong is Animation master

petokosun

I am wondering, will it be possible to use AM v 16 to render a city, say with like 100 house, cars, having textures and so on. Any answer from the admin guys.

You would have to specify that more. In general, A:M can do everything you want, if your computer is strong enough to do it. The Chor can handle many many patches and textures of course. It will be better to use 64 bit-version if you really plan to use big textures and many patches, but I don't think that there is a real limit other than what your computer can handle. There is a limit of patches per model (about 15k) but in the chor I don't see one but your computer.

So the question is: Can your computer handle it?

Have a look at this thread:

City-Thread

One of the most massive models done in A:M is the Nidaros Cathedral. You will find some useful informations in there concerning patches in a model-file, RAM-amount and patches in a chor-file.

Nidaros Cathedral by Stian

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

The answer is 'yes'. (What Fuchur said)

The real questions:

Do all assets need to be showing in camera at all times (Rhetorical question.. the answer is 'no, they do not' mostly because they will not all be seen in the camera at the same time. That's the beauty of matte images stage sets.)

Does the scene require radiosity or realistic rendering?

How will you approach the animation of the scene?

How detailed is each frame of the scene?

If you are just wanting to build a model in A:M so that you can move around in it? (Be the master of your own kingdom with no desire to render anything?)

So, the answer is yes, A:M is more than capable.

The speed through which you can model and animate a scene will largely depend on your computer and especially it's amount of RAM.

How strong is your computer?

Added: I recommend building your city first with proxy models (basic shapes, cubes and rectangles). Then as you add detail change the links to the more detailed models. In this way you can easily turn on/off select parts of your city as you don't need them and even change the level of detail.

The trick I have found to assembling large scale models is to assemble all the pieces in an action. Build lots of little elements one by one in separate models, assemble in an action using say, the hero building or the ground plane/map... then- bring the hero model into the chor and drop that 1frame action on it, and set your lights, camera and action all there. I need to revisit my NYC model and do some more cool stuff with it.

• Hash Fellow

When you see a big city shot in a movie, a CG movie, they typically make the least geometry they can get away with and put good textures on it to suggest the detail and only on the sides that will be seen.

If the camera needs to move in close to something that will be built with more detail.

They do that because their software isn't infinite either and they need to get the shot done in a reasonable amount of time and human cost.

A:M can do those sort of shots if you can. Your good discretion in modeling and talent in texturing will be essential to do shots like that.

OK, thanks for all your reply. Actually, i am in the early stage of the production of a movie call The ONE MAN MONSTER. And i want to be sure that i will not regret latter on. That why i asked the question. Or, i will it be possible to use AM v 16 to make a movie like MEGA MIND. If yes, then i am in the right path to achieving my dream.

OK, thanks for all your reply. Actually, i am in the early stage of the production of a movie call The ONE MAN MONSTER. And i want to be sure that i will not regret latter on. That why i asked the question. Or, i will it be possible to use AM v 16 to make a movie like MEGA MIND. If yes, then i am in the right path to achieving my dream.

Yes it is possible to do that... but that will be a lot of work for one person. Keep in mind: Such a movie is produced by a lot of people (the base-crew about 30-300 people and often many more involved with stuff not directly connected to movie-production-work) as a full-time-job in a timeframe of 1-3 years... so 120 minutes of real high-quality 3d-animation will take a lot of work...

In any way you need a good plan on how to do things... keep in mind: These people have a good structured workflow and will split large scences into foreground and background (or many more layers) etc. to make it manageable.

So if I was you, I would aim for a quality short before trying to produce a hollywood-quality movie of 80-120 minutes.

But that is possible too... think of Killer Bean 3 for example (not done in A:M, but as I said before: it is really not the software here but your motivation. A:M could produce something like KillerBean3 too... the first previews for KB3 were done in A:M, if I am not wrong)... done by one person in (less than 100 years... not totally sure about the timeframe here... I think about four years or something like that... don't know exactly so...)

KillerBean 3 is quality work, so to get it to a movie-quality you need to raise the quality a little more too.

See you

*Fuchur*

Took me about 4-5 years to develop my video. 28 minutes in all. I had to have some key people assist, although....I did most of the work myself. LOTs and LOTs of research and development. The rendering hours alone were extreme. 5 of the 28 minutes were live action puppetry, but the other 23 minutes are all CG.

Knight_sequence_08_Frame_00276.jpg

William

Well, it depends on the amount of time in invest in your project and your level of know how and professionalism that will determine how fast you will complete you film. What do you think.

+ talent of course. And a little on how much the software helps you of course... the last part is something A:M does quite well if you ask me... (compared to XSI and 3ds if you ask me).

But the more important stuff is talent and all you said above.

See you

*Fuchur*