Hash, Inc. Forums

OBJ sequence

John Bigboote

I was just watching a tutorial on Trapcode Form 2 for Adobe After Effects... it now lets you apply it's effect to an obj, and an obj sequence. Cool! Any ideas how I can get A:M an animated OBJ sequence out of A:M? Is this a possible feature request?

Here's the tutorial:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/get...arted/item/258/

I'm thinking it is real geometry per frame. They show how they do it in the video... they Import a sequence of OBJ's the same way as if they were importing a sequence of jpegs or targas.

I don't think that that is possible in an automatic way till now... you would have to do it frame by frame.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Do you have interns?* ;)

Teach one to export the Chor as an MDL, advance one frame and do it again.

Then teach him to import the MDLs and export them as OBJ and to do it again.

Test this out yourself on a short stretch to see if it works as you imagine.

*(note: use of interns in this manner is not actually legal. Perhaps you have "production assistants")

They demonstrate the OBJ import into AE at about 4:10 in that video.

Yeah- some testing will be needed, and frame by frame is most likely the way. I was thinking I would deform my shape/object in an action, and walk thru frame by frame RMB/ExportOBJ... ?

JBB,

I love the Red Giant plugins. They've helped me a bunch in the past.

Two thoughts on this issue:

1. I have had to go to some really crazy lengths in the past to get Hash to do certain things step by step. Even if it's 200 frames,

that seems do-able with a little time. As long as the end result is awesome, it would be worth the effort....especially since there's no

other way to get an obj sequence out of hash unless an Mdd sequence could be converted over somehow. At least...none that I can think of.

2. ****I have noticed that the obj export plugin has been "peaking" all the splines for some reason in V16. Because of this, the OBJ exports

aren't smooth but rather rigid. Anyone know why that is happening?

• Hash Fellow
2. ****I have noticed that the obj export plugin has been "peaking" all the splines for some reason in V16. Because of this, the OBJ exports

aren't smooth but rather rigid. Anyone know why that is happening?

Sounds like something to AMReport. Have all the V16s done this or just the current v16b ?

Include a "Good" result and a "bad" result

• Admin

Yes indeed, as Robert pointed out we can export sequential Obj files (We use to be able to do the same with PLY and .MDL formats too but now I'm not too sure).

I never had a particular use for the feature but I used it back in the v11/v12 timeframe a lot just because I thought it was really cool.

I was using it for Onionskinning but with models. ;)

(As with most exports avoid 5 pointers wherever possible)

Well, I got my hands on Trapcode Form, and really want to try something with an obj sequence. Form will put a particle at every vertice- so I think 5 pointers won't matter. THANKS for the 'find' Robcat, I looked but did not see that- need to look again. This software has it all, ay?

There's also an "export only triangles" option in there so maybe that's a way to solve the five-pointer problem, if it is a problem.

Don't know why people still have these 5-pointer-issueses... directx-export is not generating any trouble with 5-pointers and in general all those algorithms are the same because they are presented to the plugin-programmer by A:M. What exactly is happening with 5pointers?

See you

*Fuchur*