Hash, Inc. Forums

Snap-To-Surface Tool

John Bigboote

Hey - I took a chance to do a job today with the new 'Snap To Surface' tool, and it saved the day! Don't know how I woulda done this without it.

Shawn Rogers asked if I could model this 'NEWFANGLED' soccer ball(ref photo) for him... at first I though- NO WAY, but then figured the S2S tool may help in the process and it could be a good test for it. Plus I love the challenge, the ball looks SO simple, yet it is really QUITE a modeling dilemma.

1st- I lathed a really dense sphere and exported it as an OBJ. Then imported it into the chor as a prop... this was to be the surface for me to draw on, activating the S2S function. A couple false starts, a couple rounds of 'make it bigger-make it smaller' and I had a good workable base.

The tool and the 'snap group to surface' option worked really well, a couple of times it would snap to the backside surface- but the undo got me back. Whats REALLY nice is when you have the tool ON, you can slide CPs around and they adhere perfectly to the surface.

I will post a 360o render when it finishes. The Snap To Surface tool will be available in Version 17.

AMsnap2surface.jpg

• Admin

From what I can tell...

Gif animations under a certain size will be set to play automatically in the post as animation. Those larger than the threshold get a JPG preview image posted to enable clicking on to launch the animation. As near as I can tell the size is hardcoded into IPB but I'll check to see if it's a setting that can be increased. I believe the main reason for this is that some browsers don't handle large gifs well so they slow the loading of the page itself.

There is a workaround to this (and to displaying PNGs directly with transparency) and that is to post the image twice (once as an upload and then once as an image linked from that upload). You'll have to hack the end of the URL off of the filename (_thumb) and then change the extension from .jpg to .gif. Clear as mud?

Edit: I moved the animated gif link to your post so you can edit your post to see the link there.

Congratulations on your job! That is seriously impressive!

(Side Note: With STS we can spline a high rez model in the Modeling window and spline over that as well. Just Lock the geometry you want to use as a template.)

• 5 weeks later...
Hi there,

Please let me ask a question related to the new "retopolgy" tool.

Could I bring in an obj complete with uvs and texturemaps, normalmaps etc.

then retopo in AM without breaking these?

(to animate and export later to a gameengine)

I asked Steffen for such a feature (it is in A:M Reports) but this is not possible till now.

But it may be possible in future.

See you

*Fuchur*