Hash, Inc. Forums

I LOVE v11 hair!

WOW!!! That's the best looking cg hair I've seen, maybe ever! Do you mind sharing your hair settings for color, specular and such? Is there more than one emitter in the hair system?

Thanks! It's just a single emitter.

Hair System:

Preroll: 00:00:20

Cast Shadows: ON

Control Points: 4

Dynamics: ON

Stiffness: 57%

Density: 100%

Length: 10cm

Thickness: 100%

Kinkiness: 100%

Kink Scale: 100%

Hair Emitter:

Image: None

Cap Ends: OFF

Density: 75

Length: 100% (Variation: 10%)

Position Variation: 100%

Direction Variation: 10%

Surface:

Diffuse Color: (94,52,9)

Specular Color: (201,177,132)

Specular Size: 25%

Specular Intensity: 50%

Brightness: 100%

Variation: 10%

Thickness: 0.05cm (Variation: 10%)

Bow: 75% (Variation: 0%)

Kinkiness: 100% (Variation: 10%)

Kink Scale: 500% (Variation: 10%)

Face Camera: 100% (Variation: 0%)

Now here's the tricky part.

Click on "Kinkiness". Switch to the channels view in the timeline, and add a point somewhere around 25% (horizontal). Drag the point at 0% (horizontal) down to 0% (vertical). Change the interpolation method of the 25% point to zero slope, then drag the bias handle of the 0% point up so it makes a nice curve:

HairCurve.png

(After doing this, your Kinkiness property will read 0%, even though the majority of the hair has got 100% kinkiness.)

Now click on "Thickness". Go to 100% (horizontal) in the timeline, and drag the point downwards to 0% (vertical). That gives it a nice taper from root to tip, and makes it look less shaggy.

For darker roots in the hair, click on the "Diffuse Color" entry in the surface properties (not the color chip, just the name). Add points in the channels timeline for the red, green and blue channels at around 10%. Then move the points at 0% downwards. I used RGB (58,28,4).

How long did it take to create & render?

It actually didn't take too long to create, though I wasn't really looking at the clock. If I'd known what I was doing, it probably only would have taken a few minutes; at any rate, it couldn't have been more than half an hour for all the tweaking and re-rendering. Final render took 02:32 on my system (non-multipass at, 800x600 resolution).

wow, cool hair!  Post an update if you give her a new do please.

Thanks!

This is an attempt at giving her long hair with a side part.

LongHair1.jpg

It's a little "big" for my tastes; I'm having a hard time getting it to do exactly what I want. (Is there a video tutorial available on how to groom hair, like there was for hair locks in v10?)