Hash, Inc. Forums

Face Rig

Ilidrake

I'd like to rig my characters face and I tried Steve's Head Gizmo but it gives me some serious undesired results, in the mouth region mainly. And I'm not experienced in rigging enough to fix it. So what would you guys suggest? I have the TSM2 rig installed for the body, along with cp weights in place and it's working okay. Should I simply set pose sliders with muscle mode or is there a better way?

• Hash Fellow

The best way is the way that gets the job done for you.

If you know your goal and know how to get it with pose sliders, that is a good solution. The soulcage guys just showed us a spot they did with a pose slider rigged face and they got it done great.

I agree, hearing that The Soulcage Department uses pose sliders to animate their faces was a real revelation to me and that's how I'm going in the future, except for a couple of bones for the eyes, eyelids and jaw. Much more control, much less mystery.

• Hash Fellow

The key is knowing your goal. If you don't know how the skin moves to make a proper smile shape or "oo" shape or whatever, no method is going to get you there.

Anzovin makes a "Face machine" for Maya. I've seen the result of someone using it (an other wise competent Maya user) who didn't understand the goal and it looked ghastly.