Hash, Inc. Forums

V17 Retopology Tool

John Bigboote

• Hash Fellow
Most polygon models have already a topological structure, which is by itself already a good guide

for a retopo in A:M...

If you like the topology of a polygon model, I'd recommend importing it into a model (instead of as a Prop) and deleting the splines you don't want and leaving just the ones you do want.

I have used that subtraction method on polygon models with Quads and that works well. A little bit of spline breaking and reconnecting is needed to make good A:M patches in some places but I think this is faster for this case than remaking the mesh from scratch wit Snap-to-Surface.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

right, thats a cool idea, i did not think of that yet!

Thanks for sharing!

Regards

Heiner

Robcat method isn't always applicable for all models, but maybe a hybrid of his method and partial retopology. For human anatomy I have strip down polygon on legs and arms sectional and retopologize the rest of the body then put them together as one model.

Same for importing poser model into section then stripping it down with combine method. It's still a mess to import the whole model with high polygon count.

I had the trial version and did this and could not wait till my birthday was coming so I could get the full subscription version! I was impress with this feature.

• Hash Fellow

Some polygon creation tools like MakeHuman have options for exporting different densties. My first gambit would be to choose the lowest setting, it probably has all the important contours in it.

Some polygon creation tools like MakeHuman have options for exporting different densties. My first gambit would be to choose the lowest setting, it probably has all the important contours in it.

Depending on what you got there both are good ways. If you for instance have triangles, Retopology is MUCH easier than getting the stuff right in A:M.

If you have a very high polygone-amount it will be better too.

If you have a model with good edge loops and quads and at a lower resolution, deleting is very likely the better option (if you are not running into finding normals-waiting times which are just too long).

I had very good experiences with Retopology and would recommend it for the given situations and I did the deleting of parts and splines after importing too. Both are valid and nice methodes and it just

depends on the case you are in at the moment.

See you

*Fuchur*