Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Kinnect as an Inexpensive 3d scanner

pixelplucker

This uses the Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinnect.

http://davidleonardtv.wordpress.com/2011/0...rial-with-code/

Any ambitious programmers with some free time could make a plug-in for the new AM that has retopo tools. Be pretty convenient to scan in an object into the model window. Maybe even capture the surface colors for reference bitmap as well.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've actually been using kinect some fro Red Squad. Currently we've only had an opportunity to briefly play with the motion capture abilities, however, there is definite potential. The problem that needed to be worked out was jittering in the recording phase, however the AM model fit quite well with the BVH that kinect exported.

Of course we havn;t done anything like what you suggested above, that's somewhat out of our league :P

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got everything in the mail. I cant seem to get both cameras working at the same time in ipi recorder. both cameras work just not at the same time. Bummer. I hate Windows.

I used to be a hard core PC guy. Now I love mac. My biggest gripe with PC is things like this. Everything is always theoretical. In theory if I get all this stuff and install this software it should work. On a mac. It just works. I remember others trying to sell me on mac. WHat finally made me switch was was people who were not half as technical as me were getting results on mac and I was like did you do this? Did you have to customize your bios, Go into device drivers, get that special capture card? They said no I just bought the mac and plugged in my camera.

Sorry about my rant. This always seems to be the case with when microsoft is involed.

Doesn't sound like an os problem but rather a driver problem where it only loads one device.

Similar devices on windows should show up as individual devices under the device manager such as the case as multiple scanners, cameras, mice etc.

What driver are you using?

Is there another you could use?

That's what I was thinking, under the device manager you should see 2 devices of the same type and one probably has a triangle with the ! inside. That would indicate an unknown device because of a missing driver.

What drivers are you using?

I don't have a kinect on my machine yet but really thinking of it.

Finally got everything working. One of the rules is that both cameras can not be plugged into the same usb controller. My mac pro has 8 usb ports all driven by 1 controller. So no go on the mac pro.

I used my other system which did have more than 1 controller built into the mother board.

Attached is my very first mocap. I am extremely impressed. I have the cameras 28 feet away from each other which is too far and they are at the non optimal angles and yet I got this amazing result my first try. This is truly powerful.

See attached. You can view it in BVH hacker which is free.

Go ahead and have it drive your humanoid model.

I am extremely impressed with how smooth it is. No jitter at all. Almost all the True bones motions I purchased had lots of jitter. I wonder if I can run them through ipi to remove the jitter?

Well I guess there is no point because I can simple create the move myself as the actor.

I wonder if this is a viable revenue stream?

Freeze_Your_Surounded_.bvh.zip

Thats pretty cool, I suppose the Kinect units probably don't have unique hardware id's so they show as the same. I think this would explain why the need for a separate usb controller for each one.

Did you try it for 3d scanning? If so I can convert the point clouds to an stl or obj for you. Curious how the details are held.

That's what I was thinking, under the device manager you should see 2 devices of the same type and one probably has a triangle with the ! inside. That would indicate an unknown device because of a missing driver.

What drivers are you using?

I don't have a kinect on my machine yet but really thinking of it.

Microsoft plans to introduce a real computer-version of the Kinect in the first Quater of 2012. It will not be limited to a recording-distance of 1-1,5m but will be useable from 40 cm on (or something like that...).

I will wait till this comes out.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

During the trailers at the movies yesterday there was a commercial showing people doing absolutely amazing, mind-blowing, incredible things with Kinnect.

Then i noticed the small disclaimer at the bottom, "Depictions are visionary" :D