Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Vicki's new novel on Amazon

Gerry

My sweetie pie Vicki has self-published her latest novel, "Weep", and it's now available on Amazon.

Over the last several years Vicki has been researching her family tree and also become a member of the Cherokee Nation, of which she has 1/64 blood. The story she tells is about a present-day woman who has become disenchanted with the high pressure life she has made for herself in Manhattan, and after a somewhat mystical encounter with a Central Park carriage horse, decides to return to her home in Oklahoma to rediscover her roots and her family relationships.

Granted, I'm her biggest fan, but her writing is vivid, the characters come alive, and their relationships will remind you of your own.

If you're interested in genealogy, horses, trail rides, skinnydipping, or American Indian life and culture and how it intersects present-day America, I think you'll like it.

And now, back to the program!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the comment, Holmes.

I generally think I know how good a writer she is. When we met in Tulsa in 1977, she was living in an A-frame house on a hilltop outside town where they had a pond for a water source, which they also used as a swimming hole.

She used that setting for a couple of scenes in the book, and when I read it the first time I was sort of taken aback at the incredible you-are-there sense of detail. I had to ask her, did you have some old photos, or some sort of reference? I couldn't understand how she had described it so acutely that you could feel the dry heat, the weeds along the path, the uneven gravel underfoot on the incline. No, she had just put herself there in her imagination, and channeled it onto the page. Everything she writes is like that.

Sounds wonderful! Wishing her much success!

Over the last several years Vicki has been researching her family tree and also become a member of the Cherokee Nation, of which she has 1/64 blood.

Oooo...interesting...I too believe I am at least 1/64 Cherokee. And it might even be 1/32, as I believe there were 2 first cousins that married that were both descended from the same female Cherokee ancestor (2 of her children's children married). I know I'm eligible for DAR, but I'm not sure how one goes about becoming a member of the Cherokee nation? That would be more interesting to me than the DAR.

• *A:M User*

Gerry

Tell her congrats. My wife is part Cherokee as well and it Is wild that my 8 year son is registered in the Cherokee records. As a history major graduate I love to study this part of our past. I will check her book out.

Steve

I had forgotten that you met here in Tulsa!

I had forgotten that you met here in Tulsa!

Yeah, I think you and I mentioned this in passing a few years ago. I lived there for three years, '76-'79. We often laugh about how highly improbable our meeting was, not to mention how improbable my even being in Tulsa was.

There are a few places I miss but I know they're probably gone now, Boston Ave. Market, the Nine of Cups and Cardo's Cadillac come to mind!

Nancy, sorry but I didn't see your post right away. As for checking out your Cherokee ancestry, you may already know about the Dawes Rolls, a census of Cherokees by the Federal government completed around 1904. If you can prove your relationship to someone on the Dawes Rolls, you can gain membership. If you read her book, she actually goes into the process as part of the story!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...