Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Opener animation for Bay Street Film Festival

Hubert

I just finished my first animation in Animation:Master, a 25-sec. opening piece for this installment of a medium-size annual film festival here in Thunder Bay (Canada). I had a blast doing it and thoroughly enjoyed working with the software.

As an experienced stopmotion animator and stopmotion director I didn't have too many problems making the transition to computer animation, and Animation:Master definitely was a big help in making that transition. It's relatively intuitive (not always...), powerful but not overwhelming.

I'm happy with the little piece below, but would love to hear some comments!

I also would like to hear what could have been done in order to avoid the obvious "ribs" (splines) showing through in the character.

post-11958-1316542852_thumb.jpg

It can be viewed here: http://www.vimeo.com/24056214

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Simple and effective. Very nice. :)

Edit: I just re-read your request for feedback.

I also would like to hear what could have been done in order to avoid the obvious "ribs" (splines) showing through in the character.

The key to a smooth mesh is continuous splines.

At a guess I'd say you may have used the AI or Font Wizard to import a shape as your Model? (Perhaps not if you are new at this)

It'd help us to better understand your model if we could see it or you can post some wireframe images of it.

If you can share the model you'll have it flexing around the screen in no time.

Added: I've attached a quick down and dirty example of a continuous spline layout (for the chest area) to show the basic idea. I imagine you want to keep the crisp beveling of the outer edges and I haven't done any of that here. The head isn't attached at this point either:

Personally, I like the impurity of the sharp lines. Everything is too polished these days and I think it creates a nice effect.

mascot000.mov

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to the Forum Hubert!

That's a wonderful Festival open!

As Rodney says, we'd have to see the splines to know more, but I'm sure there's a solution.

When you have questions, this forum is the place to ask!

Fun fact: Animation:Master v1 was called "Will Vinton's Playmation"

I'm sure there's a story there I haven't heard the entirety of.

Welcome to the Forum Hubert!

That's a wonderful Festival open!

As Rodney says, we'd have to see the splines to know more, but I'm sure there's a solution.

When you have questions, this forum is the place to ask!

Fun fact: Animation:Master v1 was called "Will Vinton's Playmation"

I'm sure there's a story there I haven't heard the entirety of.

Robcat,

Yep, that was the first version I purchased back in 1992. The pitch was that Will Vinton, being such a good stop motion animator, could and DID help sell the software. i.e. - You could do stop motion type animations with it. Which you could, but it was even easier than that!

I agree with Rodney also. Post a wireframe or shaded wireframe of your model at about a 3/4 view and that will give us a better idea of what's going on with the 'ribbing' effect. I suspect most of the splines have a low magnitude or are peaked and therefor bend very sharply.

Again, excellent motion!