Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

playing with balls and lights - Newton+Radiosity

Xtaz

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks friends .... I'm glad you liked it ...

1-Yeah- that ROCKS! What did the radiosity do?

2-Was it what made the little penumbra light effects coming from each ball?

3-I have never messed with the Radiosity, was it a long render?

1- In few words ...radiosity simulates the emission of light from a surface when it is hit by a light source

2- I didn't understand what kind of effect you mean.. I used lens flare to adjust visual intensity of each light.

3- rendered in 720P resolution. using Netrender 4 cores .. 36 hours

Check the project (attached) for more details

light_ball.zip

Thanks so so much for the project ! Your results are very interesting looking. Terrific!

However, those radiosity settings are a mystery to me. How did you arrive at them?

I did notice it would probably take over 10 mins plus/frame (at half size res = 640 x 360) if I used radisosity (frame 0). But I could not get it to render past 1 pass (crash).

If I turned off radiosity, all was ok

I also noticed that if I deleted the (transparent) geometry for the Light balls (but left the bulb light), and turned off radiosity, DOF, then 1 pass render time (frame 23) went from 43 secs down to 10-13 secs. I did not try to see if then radiosity would render. (I may still)

I also noticed that if I set Fade Flare effect based on distance = ON that one could also get interesting effect, different from yours of course, but only took 10 secs (NO radiosity, dof) - see image (1 pass)

Thanks again.

smallbolaNOradiosityYESshadowNODOFNOgeom1passintensity10intensfadeflare66.png

Edited by NancyGormezano

Very nice rendering Nancy .....

In fact, this test was done in order to know how the A:M would behave using radiosity and multiple light sources. I'll render another scene without radiosity... to compare the result and render time..

another trick ...as you can see in the project, I deformed the balls to give them a non linear movement :)

I'll render another scene without radiosity... to compare the result and render time..

another trick ...as you can see in the project, I deformed the balls to give them a non linear movement :)

I rendered a sequence last night. Here's what I got rendering 1 pass for frames 80-221: No radiosity, No DOF, deleted geometry for the light balls, Flare ON/Fade with distance.

10 secs/pass at 640 x 360

EDIT:

another trick ...as you can see in the project, I deformed the balls to give them a non linear movement

I do not see a deformation in the original geometry of the balls. I do see they are NOT centered at 0,0,0. Is this what makes the models move more interestingly when you simulated using Newton? Love it!

80_221h264bestLoop.mov

Edited by NancyGormezano

I do not see a deformation in the original geometry of the balls. I do see they are NOT centered at 0,0,0. Is this what makes the models move more interestingly when you simulated using Newton? Love it!

As you can see in the image below... the left side have a bias deformation....

light_ball.jpg

• Hash Fellow
As you can see in the image below... the left side have a bias deformation....

light_ball.jpg

Does that mean they will bounce differently if the hit on the left side only and not on the right, or do they always bounce differently...?