Hash, Inc. Forums

Solaris Urbino 15 LE CNG

agep

Hi guys

It's been a while since I did some mechanical modeling, so I started modeling a citybus (this one is to be seen driving around in Trondheim, where I live. AtB is the bus company). This is an "in between projects" project for fun, so it wont have my full attention.

Anyway, please let me know what you think so far

Best regards

Stian

solaris_urbino_15_le_cng_000.jpg solaris_urbino_15_le_cng_001.jpg

Speaking of patch count, has anyone enountered a patch limit with the latest versions of A:M?

I haven't- and I having been trying real hard to... with a model of Manhattan Island... and Red Bull Soccer Stadium, no limits here!

Manhattan:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...6&hl=soccer

Generic Soccer Stadium:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=stadium

Speaking of patch count, has anyone enountered a patch limit with the latest versions of A:M?
Patchcount is not a problem in A:M, though, the modeling window can get really sluggish after a certain number of patches, like 20K or something (I have a theory that 5pt patches is much heavier on the system than regular 4pt patches) But that is easily fixed by modeling parts in a different window and copy/past into the main window, or by using action objects. The wheels on the buss are action objects. I did reach a million patches on my Nidaros model, which A:M handled very well, I even exported the model too a big poly program, which actually did struggle more than A:M

But that is easily fixed by modeling parts in a different window and copy/past into the main window, or by using action objects.

I use to model them in separate windows then put them together in the choreography. Indeed .. wheels account for more than 60% of the patches in the model.

I use to model them in separate windows then put them together in the choreography.

Yeah, but by dragging all the parts into an action you just need to drag and drop the action onto your base model in the chor. Action objects are a smooth way to do it if you have large models and many choreographies

Thanks!

Here is a small update to the model:

As someone who modeled a bus, I shall follow your progress with great curiosity. Whenever I see a bus I think about what it would be like to model it, and feel an urge to verify who the manufacturer is, whether their body is on another manufacturer's frame or their own custom built, how old it may be, front or rear engine, type A (van/truck conversion), B (custom front-engine), C (common, door behind front wheel) or D (transit/coach style, engine in front or rear), and so forth.

• 2 weeks later...
But that is easily fixed by modeling parts in a different window and copy/past into the main window, or by using action objects.

I use to model them in separate windows then put them together in the choreography. Indeed .. wheels account for more than 60% of the patches in the model.

If anyone is interested, here is a program that will convert a Choreography to an Action file

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=344331

It is much easier to assemble things with a lot of parts in a Choreography, but Actions are reusable and more versatile. So this was my answer to that dilemma.

It worked well back in January, but I haven't used it much since then. It is mostly javascript with a few special api calls to open/save files on the computer. If you want to look at the javascript code, it is in the "Resources" folder after you install the program.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I have finally finished the model. It ended up becoming a bit more timeconsuming than I wanted though. Anyway, please let me know what you think

Best regards

Stian

solaris_urbino_15_le_cng_000.jpg

solaris_urbino_15_le_cng_001.jpg

solaris_urbino_15_le_cng_002.jpg

solaris_urbino_15_le_cng_003.jpg

Thanks guys!

Do you have a final patch count?
The final patchcount is 61990

Amazing model... are you using jenpy AO ?
Thanks. No, this is regular AO with a HDRI environment

I'm curious to see your splinage for the wheel hubs to see how you solved the problem of cutting round holes in a conical surface.
Here is a screenshot. I have also added the model so that you can take a closer look

Best regards

Stian

rim.jpg

front_rim.zip

• Admin

I didn't realize there were so many styles of this type of bus until I googled for it.

And the fans of the bus appear to be just plain crazy for it!

Incredible detail on that wheel hub! I hope you copy/pasted most of that! :blink: (or would that be C/F/A?)

I assume you used your standard methodology and modeled this in a Chor?

Thank you guys!

btw, did you add a "thickness" or edges to the panels that make up the body?
I always add edges :) I have uploaded a screenshot where you can see a few panels meet.

Also, on this bus the panels are separated with a grey groove between

panels.jpg

Great model as always.

Maybe you could add some interior light to the VR, it seems a bit dark all over...

Just went to the Solaris website, because I had never heard of that company before and WOW:

What a succsses story in such a short time. Its a pleasure to read.

Thanks so much, agep, for showing the detail. Learning these sorts of things will really help me the next time I model a vehicle.

Is the grey groove attached to the panels, or just "floating" with them? In other words, if you select a point on a panel and hit the "/" key, does it select only the panel, or does it select the grey groove and/or other panels?

Thanks so much, agep, for showing the detail. Learning these sorts of things will really help me the next time I model a vehicle.

Is the grey groove attached to the panels, or just "floating" with them? In other words, if you select a point on a panel and hit the "/" key, does it select only the panel, or does it select the grey groove and/or other panels?

All panels are separate models as they would be in real life. The groove is just a simple mesh behind them