Hash, Inc. Forums

Random CP positions in A:M

jabbar

Hi Folks,

I am attempting to model a single strand of hair as if seen underneath a microscope in A:M 13.0. I found GREAT example of it done on 3D studio Max, but of course I can't simply import it. I can re-construct in it Hash very well UNTIL it comes to constructing the randomly frayed edges of the hair shaft (see attached). I tried modeling the multiple rings of ragged, jaggy CP placements by hand but it ended up being a tedious that yielded a result not even close to what I need. Is there a wizard/plug-in/technique that will allow me to create random control point position in the x-y-z plane in A:M? I've tried all of the wizards that ship with 13.0 with no success.

Thanks,

Jabbar

attached?

It would be great if a wizard could generate CPs with random positions (controllable within the parameters of the wizard) that were attached to each other, but if that is not an option, I would try an option that simply gave me randomized CP positions that I can then stitch together with another cross-wise spline.

you said "see attached". I was expecting a picture of something?

Oh, sorry---here it is. It's those randomly frayed edges that i am trying to create. The hair strand is really just a succession of stacked cylinders with a small amount of z-depth (like thin rings).

Thanks!

hairmodelling_screenshot02.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Here's what I find when I look up "Hair shaft"...

hair_damage.jpg

hair_texture.jpg

P7200112-F_col_SEM_of_a_human_hair_shaft-SPL.jpg

The first one I'd be tempted to try some "hair" solution rather than modeling it.

The second and third ones are good candidates for a bump or displacement map treatment.

Can you show the picture you are trying to reproduce?

• Hash Fellow

I didn't get the proportions of the ragged edge right, but I think this approach would work...

ElectronHair.JPG

In photoshop i painted a black-to-white gradient, copied it to several layers and overlapped them. Then i cut a ragged edge off the top of each one with the selection tool. That made my basic displacement map.

I put that through the "highpass" filter to get a fake AO shadow look for the crevices. I used "Curve Adjustment" to clip out the excess white that creates on the high spots. That map is used as a regular color map.

I added "grain" noise to the displacement map to make the unragged surface look rougher.

Those were cyl mapped to the shaft.

HairShaft__2_.zip

A:M history note.... a long time ago, maybe v5, there was a randomize CPs feature. I made some asteroids out of spheres with it once. It randomized in all directions however, you couldn't limit it to one axis.

I didn't get the proportions of the ragged edge right, but I think this approach would work...

ElectronHair.JPG

In photoshop i painted a black-to-white gradient, copied it to several layers and overlapped them. Then i cut a ragged edge off the top of each one with the selection tool. That made my basic displacement map.

I put that through the "highpass" filter to get a fake AO shadow look for the crevices. I used "Curve Adjustment" to clip out the excess white that creates on the high spots. That map is used as a regular color map.

I added "grain" noise to the displacement map to make the unragged surface look rougher.

Those were cyl mapped to the shaft.

HairShaft__2_.zip

Wow, Rob! You've taught me a lot! Thanks! I'll post my results!

A:M history note.... a long time ago, maybe v5, there was a randomize CPs feature. I made some asteroids out of spheres with it once. It randomized in all directions however, you couldn't limit it to one axis.

• Hash Fellow

And if you are determined to model it, here's how to do it in A:M...

RaggedEdgeCones.mov

Note: when I was using the Scale manipulator, i should have held down the SHIFT key to force it to scale uniformly.

I also don't think I needed to scale the last ring to 0 on the Y axis, I really should have just moved it down low enough to hide it inside.

Super GOO to the rescue!

Hair shaft under high magnification.

Had to try using hair material - hair settings - (sprite surface- 50% transparent, 100% spec, combing differently for different looks)

Hi Nancy,

I really like what you've done. I'm going to try the pre-conditioner with no transparency/specularity! And take just a little off the top, please :lol:

• Admin

I had to play too!

In my case I decided to pursue a geometry/mesh based follicle and while not up to the examples posted thus far I think it has potential.

The main idea is to spend a little time with the base ring of the follicle and then use the Duplicator Wizard to copy 25 or so times with the model slightly rotated, scaled and translated as the plugins goes to work. Some additional deformation/distortion and a decal can contribute a lot to the effect too.

If persuing a geometry-based solution use of either the Duplicator or Sweeper plugins may be worth pursuing.

Note: The right-most images are the same as the second ran through the Denoise and Exposure Post Effects.

GeoHair.jpg

Super GOO to the rescue!

Hair shaft under high magnification.

Had to try using hair material - hair settings - (sprite surface- 50% transparent, 100% spec, combing differently for different looks)

Nancy,

Can I get a look at your project file? I can't seem to get the look that you have here. I need it for a 2 second shot in a film (I'm re-doing one of my old film school films). I can offer screen credit on the film...

And if you are determined to model it, here's how to do it in A:M...

RaggedEdgeCones.mov

Note: when I was using the Scale manipulator, i should have held down the SHIFT key to force it to scale uniformly.

I also don't think I needed to scale the last ring to 0 on the Y axis, I really should have just moved it down low enough to hide it inside.

Wow! Great tute, Rob! Thanks a lot! NOW I'm torn between which is better for the project your mesh solution or Nancy's material solution! That's the "good type of problem" I like to have! Thanks!

Here's the project (ver 16)

I've played with the hair emitter properties (transparency, thickness, density, transparency, bow, length, emitter image, etc), the surface color of the hair group, as well as the hair grooming (this one is probably too smooth for you).

You can turn off spec (in Rim light), or dial down the spec in emitter prop. I only have RIM, and FILL lights active.

I also used FakeAO (pay version) post effect - so my settings may not work for you

hairshaft3lesswilder2.zip

emitterprops.jpg

Here's the project (ver 16)

I've played with the hair emitter properties (transparency, thickness, density, transparency, bow, length, emitter image, etc), the surface color of the hair group, as well as the hair grooming (this one is probably too smooth for you).

You can turn off spec (in Rim light), or dial down the spec in emitter prop. I only have RIM, and FILL lights active.

I also used FakeAO (pay version) post effect - so my settings may not work for you

Thanks! I'll update you after I have played with it a bit.

Thanks!

• Hash Fellow
I had to play too!

In my case I decided to pursue a geometry/mesh based follicle and while not up to the examples posted thus far I think it has potential....

Those look cool Rodney. Could you explain more how you got from the first to the second?

• Admin
Those look cool Rodney. Could you explain more how you got from the first to the second?

I'm sorry when I smashed those images together I didn't put them in sequential order. The first image was actually my last attempt at it and the main change to the actual geometry was to make the outer wall more vertical (i.e bring the top spline inward toward the center). As for the look itself the first one is more rounded because I didn't create the base ring with as many cross sections. I spent quite a bit of time turning the model around and making sure there was a visible change from every angle. Then it was a few tests of the duplicator wizard to extend and taper out the follicle. I imagine if you were to do this with your base model it would be 100 times as awesome.

In both cases the color/texture is augmenteed by having multiple stamps of a decal applied.

That first one experiments with adding a layer of displacement whereas I don't think the other does.

I'm playing with this layering thing a more because it can yield some very interesting special effects such as smoke and explosions (but... that is way off topic).

The attached image shows Duplicator settings (or something close ) for the first image. It's changed a little since those when I got distracted by smoke...

I believe I had a little taper and other settings set for the others.

Dupwindow.jpg