Hash, Inc. Forums

TAOAM Interface Tutorials

Needs Critiquing, please advise me, give opinion

I have been recording these into small chunks. I feel this will target the audience better and keep people from getting board to easily. There is a sense of accomplishment when working your way threw each tut, so the shorter and more targeted the better.

Tell me whats missing, or how it should be said better. Or you can even create the tut yourself it will not hurt my feelings. I think multiple combined tutorials from 2 different perspectives might be helpful and give a well rounded view of the features.

No worries though, right now we are roughing this out. I can always add a uniform splash screen later as Robert suggested.

Tool_tips.mp4

Library01.mp4

community.mp4

Optiona_Global_tab.mp4

• Hash Fellow

Thanks, Jason! I think we can prune those down a bit for brevity and style but those are a good starting point.

The "Tool tips" window I'll cover in my first quick start Lesson 0 so you won't need to pursue that one.

I'm not going to use either the Library or Community window in any of the regular tuts so we will want coverage of those for people who are curious.

Here's the question a tut on "Library" needs to answer... Why do I want to use this when i can already load files directly from my hard drive? And... If do decide to use it, how do i add things to it?

I view the Library as a vestigial feature from days when new users probably didn't know how to navigate to a file on their hard drive and it had to be made visible in the interface for them. Is there a still killer use for Library today? What is it?

The items in the Options window I'm going to try to cover as they become relevant in flow of the regular tutorials so let's wait on that until we know what doesn't get caught that way.

However... i was thinking you were going to cover this material that I outlined earlier regarding customizing the interface.

Thanks, Jason! I think we can prune those down a bit for brevity and style but those are a good starting point.

The "Tool tips" window I'll cover in my first quick start Lesson 0 so you won't need to pursue that one.

I'm not going to use either the Library or Community window in any of the regular tuts so we will want coverage of those for people who are curious.

Here's the question a tut on "Library" needs to answer... Why do I want to use this when i can already load files directly from my hard drive? And... If do decide to use it, how do i add things to it?

I view the Library as a vestigial feature from days when new users probably didn't know how to navigate to a file on their hard drive and it had to be made visible in the interface for them. Is there a still killer use for Library today? What is it?

The items in the Options window I'm going to try to cover as they become relevant in flow of the regular tutorials so let's wait on that until we know what doesn't get caught that way.

However... i was thinking you were going to cover this material that I outlined earlier regarding customizing the interface.

I was a little unclear if you wanted me to cover the entire interface. But I can scale it down to just the stuff in the link above. I have always been bad at following direction.

Jason, this is a terrific start. I would say that if you're going to discuss the Library panel (and I agree with Robert, I'm not sure that's all that important) but if you are, I think you might also discuss mapping to the libraries in the options panel, and also explain clearly where in the app folder the libraries reside. I think my libraries are in maybe 2, 3, or 4 different version folders, but I don't use it anyway! I've often thought about organizing/customizing my libraries, but as yet it's not something I need to enable me to get my work done, so it goes undone. But if you're going to discuss, I think more detail would be called for.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason,

With the library tut --I found it a little confusing when you were showing the broken links...it might be helpful if you fixed one? in the tutorial since you already had them on the screen this way folks who get unbroken links might see how easy or not it is to get things linked up again. The tutorial on the option tab was very helpful indeed. :)

Rich