Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ernesttx

Scarecrow of Oz Trailer

I had to watch the trailer without sound but from what I saw... very nice!

You cover several sequences in the trailer that I haven't seen yet.

I see some very nice effects work too.

My over all takeaway criticism-wise might be to find a way to color correct or adjust the whole trailer as a unit to make the imagery flow even better. Other artsy-fartsy feedback I'll reserve but would be glad to share.

Nicely done Ernest!

That's a good effort on a trailer!

My own preference is for trailers that do not sketch out the plot points of the story. If the audience thinks they know what the story is, why see it? It's a very common technique for children's movies; it may well be that children need to be presold on all the details of a movie, but I'd really prefer to experience the story in the movie as intended rather than in short form in a trailer.

I'd suggest making something shorter and faster that shows some main characters in interesting sequences that the audience will be curious about. That is hard to do.

And absolutely mention "based on the classic book by L Frank Baum... The Scarecrow of Oz!"

Hey, Ernest,

It's showing a lot of promise! One very effective clip that I hadn't listed was Scarecrow: "I can take you to wherever you want to go"; also Tin Woodsman saying, "Will you look at that!". I also liked the ending, with the walk into Jinxland Castle and the opening title screen.

I agree with Robcat's analysis. The trailer should pack its punch in 60 seconds or less. The plot should not be summarized; just the main themes, with 2 or 3 quick clips demonstrating. Here's something to give you an idea:

"A dangerous journey to a far away kingdom ..." (Cap'n Bill & Trot)

"A Scarecrow who guides them ..." (Scarecrow)

"Love denied ..." (Pon and Jasmine)

"A king whose greed comes before everything else ..." (Krewl and Googly Goo)

"And a witch with phenomenal power ..." (Witch)

Quick cuts with exciting music, similar to the section beginning at 1:44 in the current version but avoid voiceover

Denouement, maybe with "This is home!", then end with the walk into Jinxland Castle and the title screen.

A couple of other small suggestions:

- don't show the Cap'n Bill's transformed form, since it's kind of a spoiler.

- don't show Scarecrow tied up, which also feels like a spoiler. Some of the other parts you included from the end are more out of context and I don't think have that problem.

- don't feel you have to show everything in nearly the order they appear in the film.

I'm sorry to give you more work! I know the hardest part is going to be deciding which parts to cut out, but that will make a much better trailer in the end and it will be totally worth it!

I liked your inclusion of the spot where tin woodman is quizzing the guy about whether he's seen Scarecrow. That's a funny gag.

A real challenge would be a trailer that works without narration.

One option might be to make an all-music, no-dialog trailer that montages interesting-looking shots over one of the songs cut down to a minute or 90 seconds or so.

You'd begin with a title that said "From the classic book by L Frank Baum...", then go to montage and end with the title animation "The Scarecrow of Oz"

thanks, guys. I'll start on revisions with your suggestions this weekend.

Ernest

Dang Ernest, that's great. It is is a really good synopsis of the film. I agree with making it shorter and faster-paced, but don't get rid of that version. It might prove useful at some point.

Very nice efforts! I favor trailers that don't give away the story. Otherwise why watch the movie! :) The second one has just enough to intrigue you without giving too much away. Well done.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably redo the text slates into a more colorful picture and have it slowly crawl in towards the camera and fade out. I'm not sure if maybe using more text slates through out the trailer, but it seems odd that they are used at the beginning and nowhere else. Maybe one or two near the end before the ending?

Thoughts?

Version 2 i much improved over version 1!

My thoughts...

- I think this cut has moved the needle too far in the "montage" direction. (I realize I was the one pushing you to have more montage :rolleyes: ) There isn't quite enough for the audience to get a notion of "what is this this movie about?"

- I'm not a fan of "drama" music in movie trailers, ti's gotten to be a cliché and it's too much one note for too long. Is that really from the movie? I think that drumbeating music would work well for the brief storm sequence, but not for the outdoor sunny stuff. Is there a song in the movie you could use part of?

- I would put "from the classic novel by Frank L Baum" all in one title since he's not a well-known, AAA-list name anymore and making them wait for it isn't effective.

- if you wanted to be really retro you could swing that title in like they did with optical effects in old movie trailers

Look at the variety of ways they bring in titles in this Kong trailer. I like the ones on turning 3D cards.

GWTW used mostly simpler wipes

http://youtu.be/K9ftIzRAgAk

Note also that they never halt the picture by cutting to black to put up a title, they put text over the picture.

-I dont' think you need more titles, but you might consider a portion of the trailer that briefly spotlights several key characters as the GWTW trailer does

"starring..."

"the Scarecrow"

"the Tin Woodman"

"and introducing..."

"Trot"

"Cap'n Bill"

"the Witch"

"and many more!"

Wipe that text in on the bottom third underneath a clip of the character like they do in the old trailers.

Thanks Robcat.

I don't have access to any of the music used in the movie. The music I create myself. I'll try to incorporate the suggestions, but I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Thanks.

Thanks Robcat.

I don't have access to any of the music used in the movie. The music I create myself.

I bet the director can hook you up with the music. Or rip it from the movie.

I'll try to incorporate the suggestions, but I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

That's the way it is when you take something on, people pop up with so many suggestions you wonder why they didn't just do it themselves! :P

If someone has the music, then they can send it to me.

I don't mind doing it; just a lot of different things to attend to all of a sudden: trying to launch 2 possible roku channels, editing video, stage show and filming music festival this weekend.

it's all good. :)

I have to go out of town in 10 minutes. I'll be back Monday. Earnest please email me at holmesbryant at gmail dot com to remind me to send you the music.

Wow, I like it a lot! When I saw the size (1:26) I thought it might be a little long, but when I watched it, it didn't seem too long. There are always a million different directions that could have been taken, but I think this one works pretty well and I don't see any show stoppers. I think it looks pretty good.

Does anyone else have comments?

I like it! like it! well done!

Not sure about the typeface font, or white color - but I like the motion of the graphics. Don't know another font to suggest, and it's not a big deal for me, but I suspect for fontophiles, it might be a problem?

(Different issue: What I really don't like is how ALL films play back for me on A:M films - always delays, appears not to have much of a buffer. Is it just me? Is there some setting for play back that I can change some where? I don't experience that kind of sputtering on other video sites. Makes me not want to watch the films. FF 3.6.3, Winxp pro).

(Different issue: What I really don't like is how ALL films play back for me on A:M films - always delays, appears not to have much of a buffer. Is it just me? Is there some setting for play back that I can change some where? I don't experience that kind of sputtering on other video sites. Makes me not want to watch the films. FF 3.6.3, Winxp pro).
Yes, I get that, too, Nancy. The other thing that gives me some difficulty is when the video gets to the end, if I click on "Play" to replay it, it has to reload the video. I wonder if ClipShare has a newer version available that Jason@hash could upgrade to.

I wonder if ClipShare has a newer version available that Jason@hash could upgrade to.

I know nothing about clipshare. I do notice if the video is resident on youtube (like this one of mine), that the viewing from A:M films does not have the sputtering. Perhaps A:M films should have a dedicated youtube channel? Use their bandwidth instead. Or instead of uploading to A:M films, people should upload to their own youtube account, and then link to it from A:M films, for better playback.

A:M Films replaces Youtube!! :)

In fairness, I don't get any spluttering apart from a single pause at the start. Nice job on the video Ernest!

Excellent job on all... the fourth was definitely the best!

Way to go Ernest!!!

Thanks, everyone. I took your suggestions and implemented them as I could. I'll look into the fonts and see if I can find some that are a bit better. I was using the ones that I have on my system. Overall, I like the pace of the 4th trailer. There's prolly one or two shots that I would omit, but I'm satisfied with the last version.

I'll look again at robcat's examples again and see if I can match some of the feel and look a little better. Also, I'll need to adjust levels and all that before a final final version is made. Let me know if anything else pops out at anyone.

Mouseman, I'm not sure when you would need an updated copy. I suspect that for festival DVD entries, I'll need to send you an MPEG2 version sometime.

Let me know.

Mouseman, I'm not sure when you would need an updated copy. I suspect that for festival DVD entries, I'll need to send you an MPEG2 version sometime.

The DVDs were authored by Holmes. If we want to add those into the DVD, we'll have to get his help on that.

I have a CD with the festival press kit, so I think probably Quicktime MOV and/or MP4 would be the best for that.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Ernest! That's looking really good!

Makes me want to watch the movie. :)

Let me know if anything else pops out at anyone.

Since you asked I'll add this...

Myron's Blubbity Blub seems a little forced and just as I was getting drawn into the trailer it broke me out of the spell with a "Whoa... what just happened there".

Not sure if that's good, bad or otherwise but that was the effect it had.

The font has already been mentioned but I'll second that. It's a little hard to read.

For some reason the second font introducing the Ork via 'Mysterious Creatures' doesn't seem to have the same effect.