Hash, Inc. Forums

Shattering Glass...

new guy

I bet in "Breakable Explodeobject" .. but I never use it ... check Newton Physics for more information

if any master knows how to setup it .. please feel free to help us :)

I can´t put it to work in my tests :(

To create an explodable version of any model - right click on the model in PWS/plug-ins/wizards/explode Rebuildmodel

A dialog box will come up - I just left it at default settings.

Plug-in will create an entirely new version of the model which will contain a sequence of groups named Explode_nnnn, plus will also assign a bone to each new group.

I'm guessing that this explodable model is then used with Newton. I believe Johnl3d has done many tinkertests with it.

I tested it on a complicated model and it took quite a bit of time to create the new model, and consumed mucho memory. I thought it had hung - but eventually it finished. Probably best to try it out on a simpler model to start, just to get the feel of how it works.

explodelion.jpg

Shawn---1st of all let me say this... GREAT EFFECT!!!

I just watched it 10 times... there is a LOT going on there, and it aint all 3D. I see rotoscoping of the action to bring the character forward from the bkgd plate(and thru the 3D glass), custom art creation of the glass-breaking to the particular action- AND glass breakage is timed to the action and not 'all at once', TONS of compositing in a high-end system, not to mention lots of caustics and refractivity within the glass... and that's just a start.

THAT (once again) is a 'state of the art' effect... you will need to pull-out a LOT of tricks on this one... anyone who simply says 'Use Newton' is the equivalent of saying 'Use Motor Oil' for a engine tune-up. Cute.

PLUS (and this is a BIG plus!!!) you will need to have footage that 'works' for this effect... you can't simply take any clip and try to 'up-res' and 'slo-mo' it so you have a good base to work with. SO- to start with you either need to shoot custom hi-res slo-mo action footage($$$) OR have it in a library already(I suggest the former, because library footage comes 'pre-dated' and NEVER fits 100%...)

I will be happy to further advise beyond this.. but let me say once again... that is one-HELL-a-nice effect!!!

there´s a cool after effects/final cut plug-in called "twixtor", which can create acceptable slow-motion from normal speed recorded footage... i was astonished how good it works. in after effects there´s also a build-in shatter-effect, which might get you close to what you want... but it still will be far far away from the looks of your example though... as matt said, they pulled a lot of tricks on this one...

there´s a cool after effects/final cut plug-in called "twixtor", which can create acceptable slow-motion from normal speed recorded footage... i was astonished how good it works. in after effects there´s also a build-in shatter-effect, which might get you close to what you want... but it still will be far far away from the looks of your example though... as matt said, they pulled a lot of tricks on this one...

Sounds cool, Twixtor... got to look at that. The AE Shatter effect is cool, might work for a cheat... but it is 2D(no 3dimensional shards, refractivity...etc) plus you cannot control the design of the breakage- sure, they have a lot of presets... but this effect calls for custom designing of the shatter to the particular action... so if a foot is kicking a ball the shatter begins in the ball area and traverses up the leg as the leg comes forward.

My approach would possibly involve... designing the breakage by hand using the hero frame from the footage as a base(prbably in Photoshop)... output the shatter art as an .ai and use the .ai wizard to extrude it in A:M... use the shatter plug-in with a force to make for the 'blow-out' effect (never used this, would have to experiment- or use Newton as a B plan) Once you have it so you are happy with the glass breaking... setup a 2D/3D 'composite' it A:M, so you can have the footage in a 3D monitor with the glass placed at the screen area, and your rotoscope .tga sequence as a separate layer animated to come forward off the screen and thru the glass-shatter. Add lots of secondary particles for small shards... and tweek the daylights out of it...

• 4 weeks later...
I bet in "Breakable Explodeobject" .. but I never use it ... check Newton Physics for more information

if any master knows how to setup it .. please feel free to help us :)

I can´t put it to work in my tests :(

To create an explodable version of any model - right click on the model in PWS/plug-ins/wizards/explode Rebuildmodel

A dialog box will come up - I just left it at default settings.

Plug-in will create an entirely new version of the model which will contain a sequence of groups named Explode_nnnn, plus will also assign a bone to each new group.

I'm guessing that this explodable model is then used with Newton. I believe Johnl3d has done many tinkertests with it.

I tested it on a complicated model and it took quite a bit of time to create the new model, and consumed mucho memory. I thought it had hung - but eventually it finished. Probably best to try it out on a simpler model to start, just to get the feel of how it works.

OK i tryed to create a new model but my plugins section does not seam to have the explode rebuild option , am i blatantly missing something or do i need to install something to do this

• Hash Fellow
OK i tryed to create a new model but my plugins section does not seam to have the explode rebuild option , am i blatantly missing something or do i need to install something to do this

I know nothing of Newton but most plugins only show up when you are in the right window or when you have the right object selected for the plugin to work on. Possibly that's the issue.