Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Captain Kirk Bust

Hey all, I've made a detour and am working on Captain Kirk for no good reason at all. Now I've started (was using a trackpad which isn't good for modeling BTW) but my main problem is lacking of good side and front views and ones with a higher resolution than 100 pixels. So if anyone knows of any, please direct me to them :)

post-9859-1313417690_thumb.png

post-9859-1313417706_thumb.png

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, that reminds me, this isn't a face to be rigged, it's going to be modeled in the pose that it's going to be in, so I'm not so overly concerned about how well it will respond to lip movement and things like that. That being said, I'll see what I can do to reduce those splines just out of good practice. Part of it is because of him having a denser nose as I've gone and attempted to form some sort of nostril on him

post-9859-1313418891_thumb.png

EDIT:

Reduced the splines some:

post-9859-1313419468_thumb.png

• Hash Fellow
A quick question, I'm trying to actually model the hair for this one, to keep with the whole statue look of the model. Any ideas on how to go about doing this?

It's like any other shape, you spline out the countours. Try to follow the basic direction of his hair.

I've got a pretty nice hair effect on the guy in my music video by modeling it as a solid, then doing a displacement map to indicate strands and texture. It's not perfect but it works for my project, and it can be refined ad infinitum. Also have a transparency map for the thin areas at the sideburns and nape. Likewise, not perfect but it's got potential for further development.

So I guess from Capt. Kirk that I have to many splines on my girl here too. Also have the hair questions, have tried the HAIR plugin but that seems so tedious trying to shape hair one hair at a time,

have hair modeld for this one but just doen't look right, just sayin'.

Snapz_Pro_XScreenSnapz001.jpg

Snapz_Pro_XScreenSnapz002.jpg

DOn't take this as gospel, because it's been awhile, but I was just reduce the Hair amount alot then style with the hair splines, then increase the amount of hair. That way to can style your hair with minumum fuss and muss? I might be totally wrong on that. It's been awhile since a messed with hair. I'll be doing it with my Conner character fairly soon so I will post my result with the hair for me :).

Well, a cool trick that looked pretty good on Captain Henderson was to keep the hair density at about 2, have 3 control points, use the brush tool mostly to shape it, then set the base of the hair's width to be about 1cm and the tip of the hair 0.01cm. This also saves on rendering time :)

This is my quick start on hair modeled, needs lots of work still but yeah, it's a start. I still can't seem to get quite the right shape for the Shat's face though...

post-9859-1313461753_thumb.png

So I guess from Capt. Kirk that I have to many splines on my girl here too. Also have the hair questions, have tried the HAIR plugin but that seems so tedious trying to shape hair one hair at a time,

have hair modeld for this one but just doen't look right, just sayin'.

I somehow missed your post earlier :P From what I can tell, part of your problem is because of your eyes. Instead of having the concentric rings around the eyes separate from the mouth, they merge with the mouth and subsequently the neck which is giving this added and unnecessary density. One of the key things to not just face modeling, but any modeling is only lay down a spline if you need it to define something. You have quite a bit of splines that aren't defining any shape and would be better defined by the natural curve that splines make when they're farther apart.

Here's a quick pic I threw together, kinda hard to see some of you splines because of the res, but you should get the idea. Red lines are splines that can probably just go as they're not defining anything and the green marks a different layout that will most likely reduce density

post-9859-1313505004_thumb.jpg

Generally it's a good rule of thumb to treat the eyes and mouth as two separate entities. See here:

post-9859-1313549074_thumb.png

Note how the eyes are individually their own ring, but there's a larger ring that encompasses both eyes. The mouth is comprised of its own concentric circles and at the halfway mark of the face, a spline runs through it (usually defining the inset curve of the nose). Treat this line as the division of the eyes and the mouth. The eyes connect to the mouth in a vertical sense, however their concentric rings should in most cases not join with the mouths concentric rings. And again, keep the density as low as possible, only where definition is needed. Note how there's only a couple splines defining the cheekbones as that's all that's needed really.

EDIT: Oh and another shot of kirk who is close to being done.

post-9859-1313549965_thumb.png