Hash, Inc. Forums

Possible human head tutorial subject: Al Capone

robcat2075

Good Idea or Bad Idea?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow

I've been trying out different skin colors and SSS settings on Al Capone.

I like the first one best so far. The dark lip line is not intentional. I guess you can't use groups to create different colors on the model, the edge of the group is always dark. I'll have to use a decal.

caponeSSSred322_0.jpg

caponeSSSred432_0.jpg

caponeSSStan0.jpg

caponeSSSgreen322_0.jpg

Wish I could do that, Great stuff.

I wish i could design characters like you.

• Hash Fellow
Was just looking at the master splinesmanship on this... minimal and elegant! SHOULD animate well and easily... wondering what you are planning for the HAIR?

thanks, Matt!

Here's my first attempt at hair. That black I-talian hair is going to be tough to light to look good.

CaponeHair010.jpg

CaponeHair042.jpg

Start-over on the color map...

The eyebrows still look ghastly

What problem are you running into with eyebrows? Are you using a density map (decal) for the eyebrows? Are you having trouble combing them?

It's looking pretty good. But maybe that baby face could use some roughing up textures for more he-manliness ? ie pores, irregularities, scars, etc...unless you want him to look smooth.

• Hash Fellow
Start-over on the color map...

The eyebrows still look ghastly

What problem are you running into with eyebrows? Are you using a density map (decal) for the eyebrows? Are you having trouble combing them?

thy are mapped and combed but they don't look like eyebrows to me

I also have a problem where the 5-point patches don't put hair where the map says it should be.

But maybe that baby face could use some roughing up textures for more he-manliness ? ie pores, irregularities, scars, etc...unless you want him to look smooth.
I want to add that. I'm still learning how to paint that.

I also have a problem where the 5-point patches don't put hair where the map says it should be.

Have you tried putting a denser mesh, made only of 4 point patches, just under the surface and have this as the hair emitter rather than using the actual surface of the head.

Might give you more control.

• Hash Fellow

Have you tried putting a denser mesh, made only of 4 point patches, just under the surface and have this as the hair emitter rather than using the actual surface of the head.

Might give you more control.

Yeah. Maybe I can make them transparent and put them right level with the surface.

Here's what it looks like with the five-pointers at the top of the nose. It's like it wants to make a mono brow but not quite join them together. :angry:

eyebrows.JPG

• Hash Fellow
I found you can adjust the map in the UV editor to fix the hair placement. Usually, the hair being out of place mean the decal is being stretched.

It's really pretty conventional in terms of placement:

eyebrow_map.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Just in case anyone missed my image contest entry, this is the state of the Capone so far...

headothemob.jpg

This is by far the minimalist patches for a realistic model of a head I have seen pulled off! I love it!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Hash Fellow
Haha thats brilliant,thats a terific model Robert ,very real looking.did you use painter for that ,if so well done Ive never been able to use it

Thanks! I did use painter a little for the blushes on the cheeks and general coloring.