Hash, Inc. Forums

bouncing particles...

new guy

Hey everyone,

Wondered if anyone knew how to create bouncing particles with collisions? For instance, I'm doing something with a ton of soccer balls and wanted a bunch of soccer balls to fall from the top of the screen, bounce off a logo in the middle and land on the floor. Make sense? I can't seem to figure it out. Not sure how to control them. I know this is a big one, but any input would be so appreciated.

Attached is screenshot of something I did with After Effects, but I know our beloved A:M could produce much better results with greater control... I just know it!

Also, I attached a video clip of what I mean. Notice how the balls bounce off the 3D text in the middle, then bounce and roll on the floor.

Best to all!

Shawn

post-12905-1313091914_thumb.jpg

bouncing_particles.mp4

• Hash Fellow

most particles can bounce. There is a bounce setting in their properties.

For Sprites, turn Object Collisions ON and set Bounce to greater than zero.

But if you need a soccer ball to roll, then a Newton simulation is more likely . Matt Campbell has done lots of Newton objects falling for his Little Caeser's spots.

Thx... I had few time to work on it... when I increased the "bounce", the interaction between balls was too fast... But.. Of curse the results can be much much better

You may notice at the beginning of the animation that the balls seem to interact with something... because they are!

I find that if you simply drop multiple objects -they have no 'pre-orientation'... they are simply dead weights falling. But- if you give them something to interact WITH before entering frame they will have multiple trajectories, rotations and fall at random speeds.

In this case, I have placed a 'funnel' above the scene... the funnel gives the balls a little 'how do you do' before they enter the scene... creating a more realistic result.

It's good to be back from vacay... missed my Hashers!

left_side_view.jpg

I swear, every time I get on this forum, it makes me truly realize it's not the software, but the artist behind the software! When you combine absolute talent with awesome software (A:M) you get these results.

Top notch work M.C. and Marcos!