Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Resurface, can't get it to work for me

wildcard

I've no idea whats it called, nor had much luck finding it. Best thing I can do is describe what I'm looking for.

A while back, when I was digging through toe forums killing time, I ran in to a tutorial (believe a video), where a very fine spline mesh of the lower torso and legs got scaled down to tightly fit around the legs and keep a set distance.

Pretty sure it's mostly used to make cloth pieces fit correctly and keep the required distance for so it can be animated.

I'm unable to find it, nor do I have an idea whats it's called. All I know I've need for it now <_>

I hope some one understand what I'm talking about and can point me in the right direction :rolleyes:

Now that I've found what I'm looking for, I'm unable to get it to work. can any one confirm if it's working for V16.0a and if so. How does it work, because for me it ain't working :unsure:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you mean the DressMe plugin? It should be included in A:M 16.0.

No that ain't it, but that topic did lead me to what I was looking for.

The plugin is named ReSurface.

However I'm unable to get it to work for me. Can any one confirm it's working for V16.0a

Do you mean the plugin won't launch, nothing happens when you use it or just bad results?

I've never used it before so this was just a quick test in v16a on a Mac. Looks like its working.

Resurface.mp4

Could you mean the DressMe plugin? It should be included in A:M 16.0.

No that ain't it, but that topic did lead me to what I was looking for.

The plugin is named ReSurface.

However I'm unable to get it to work for me. Can any one confirm it's working for V16.0a

Do you mean the plugin won't launch, nothing happens when you use it or just bad results?

I've never used it before so this was just a quick test in v16a on a Mac. Looks like its working.

It's pretty straight forward looking on how to use it, but it simply doesn't do any thing for me.

I've an inner shape as in your video and an outer lathed mesh similar to your video I need to fit around it, but selecting what needs to be resurfaced, right click > plugins > wizards > resurface simply doesn't do anything for me. i'm using the PC version.

In the video the grey tube is sitting more or less in the center of the yellow & black cylinder. I selected all the mesh for the yellow & black cylinder, not the grey tube, and then ran the plugin.

I don't have a PC to try it out on. But if its only working on Mac's and not PC's that would be unusual.

Its usually the other way round with some plugins not working on Mac's. :(

Anyone with a PC want to give this a try?

Resurface.prj

• Hash Fellow

Here's the result I get on my PC with v16b. I don't know what the expected result is.

resurface.JPG

what are the settings I should use with it? (Don't say "the defaults")

Here's the result I get on my PC with v16b. I don't know what the expected result is.

what are the settings I should use with it? (Don't say "the defaults")

Ver 16.0 32bit. I used exactly what the project was set to, got correct result, but did the resurface from front view. If I did "resurface" from birds eye, I got a different, wrong result

resurfacefrontview.jpg

birdseyeresurface.jpg

• Hash Fellow

The project doesn't make the settings in the plugin, they are whatever they were the last time you made settings in it.

Here's what is in mine...

ressettings.JPG

With those settings i get no change at all from the front view. What are the settings you are using? that seems to be important

Had a look on Steffan's plugin page and using ReSurface in Front View is a must or you will get something like a battered tin can!

Its also supposed to work in a Chor as well. Again used in Front View.

So thought I would see how it fared and that did not go so well.

As you can see, fine when Modeling but in a Chor this was the best I could get from it regardless of settings.

So, it looks to me like it works on both platforms after all when modelling but maybe not at all when used in a Chor.

Can someone else confirm its failure in a Chor ?

ReSurface_Settings2.jpg

ReSurface_in_Chor2.png

I was able to get it to work in the chor from front view. 32bit ver 16.0

I also tried a case of splitting the model into 2 models - model1=just inner group, model 2=outer group. dragged both to chor, selected model2, and went into front and did resurface (using previous settings I posted)

splitmodelschor.jpg

So, it looks to me like it works on both platforms after all when modelling but maybe not at all when used in a Chor.

Not having played with this at all, I wonder if the model needs to be at 0,0,0 in the chor for it to work properly. That would be in line with things like Flatten, cylindrical decals, etc.

In the video the grey tube is sitting more or less in the center of the yellow & black cylinder. I selected all the mesh for the yellow & black cylinder, not the grey tube, and then ran the plugin.

I don't have a PC to try it out on. But if its only working on Mac's and not PC's that would be unusual.

Its usually the other way round with some plugins not working on Mac's. :(

Will try the project file when I get home and really hope it's me doing something wrong.

Would it fail, I'll dig up my v15 CD version and give that a go.

Still not sure, if I've a knack for finding problems or that they find me, do know it's handy during beta testing ;)

It worked for me in V15j, but not in V16.0a (32bits, PC)

As I was creating a video for a bug report, it suddenly decided to work in v16.0a. :huh:

This makes me wonder if the successful run in V15j had anything to do with it now working for me in V16.0a...