Hash, Inc. Forums

Possible storyline for tuts?

• Hash Fellow

Let's see... If we were trying to build to a short that uses all the things in the exercises...

Space ship lands on alien planet...

Eggbot and his deputies get out...

They get chased by a dinosaur (or a giraffe)...

... need to figure out how to get Monsieur Candle into this...

• Admin

Fire needs oxygen in space so...

I've always wondered how to get that bouncing ball into zero gravity.

Of course, on the spaceship there would be no need for the spacesuit he's just modeling it because they are paying serious cash for promoting the brand.

I've heard he sings too. ;)

Do you have any idea how many songs there are about 'light'... (hint: they are more than a few)

CandleInSpace_sm.jpg

SingingCandle.jpg

• Admin

...and here he is in his cybersuit.

He hops up on a hovercylinder ™ to make his rounds on the spaceship (not shown).

John said:

I might actually learn to animate instead of tinker

JohnL3D... the tinkeranimator. I like that. :)

cybersuit_sm.jpg

• Admin
I wonder if he's the sidekick or the leader?

I'm going to guess the sidekick.

No one has ever seen their leader and told the tale yet (the enlightened ones are all rather secretive).

Folks say he/she/it has quite an explosive temper.

Added: In order to get to the leader you have to get past this guy.

The good news is that the TD's only rigged his face and flame so... you just have to walk around him. ;)

Finally, a usage for those globby fluid particles...

guardcandle_sm.jpg

Possible storyline (slightly modified from Robcat's original):

Main character (one completed by user, or any from the library) who is chased by a dinosaur (giraffe?) finds a candle, who guides him/her to a space ship to escape.

The main character does/can not talk. The person should record their own voice (or one of their family or friends) for the voice of the candle.

• Admin
finds a candle, who guides him/her to a space ship to escape.

Agreed! Now we need to add some elements of time running out to that scenario.

Escape... that certainly hits that aspect already and not only that but the exercise deadlines add an element of time running out as well.

Perhaps the whole storyline could be organized with cut scenes (some of which might only be scripts, wireframe renderings, shaded renderings, animatics or fully rendered scenes/backgrounds that are missing some important element).Then the student would 'play' the storyline like a game accomplishing each exercise and telling the story with their personal touches/variations added.

I have a simple doodle here of a CIA-type guy with sunglasses saying, "Please turn to page infinity."

What sums up the potential here is that the revised TaoA:M lets us do exactly that as the case is needed.

Students venturing into uncharted areas (off script) would continue to explore their story through the uncharted perils/features by simply launching a forum query and receiving personal interaction/direction here.

finds a candle, who guides him/her to a space ship to escape.

[...]

Then the student would 'play' the storyline like a game accomplishing each exercise and telling the story with their personal touches/variations added.

There are lots of opportunities for personal touches. How many trials are there for the hero/protagonist and guide to deal with? Maybe something happens that causes the spaceship to crash? Maybe there is a question of whether the candle goes with the protagonist or stays behind. Maybe the candle and protagonist have a fight. Maybe the protagonist can't make it for some reason, and the candle goes in his place. Just like people came up with different ideas for The Door Is Stuck, they could do wildly different things for their overall project.

• Admin

I like the way you think.

Exploring the idea further students could choose between easy tracks and more complex tracks and (of course) that might dictate how the story progresses. It'd definitely dictate how the story plays for audiences.

For example a continuous track throughout TaoA:M might be to render scenes out to only a low resolution. (High Rez is not always needed)

Later they might have a choice to up the resolution but they might have to then revisit and add some details to their scene.

Choosing to go down a High Rez track would take more time and therefore exercise the students time management skill.

I have to say I like this back and forth where one person is focused on the story while another is thinking of how the exercise to set it all up so the student can successfully execute the plan.