Hash, Inc. Forums

using AM for cutting videos

petokosun

• Admin

You certainly can but when editing a lot of videos you'll want to look into programs dedicated to that usage.

A:M has to render all of these images out again from scratch whereas some programs just move (copy/paste) the images to new locations based on what you've instructed the editor to do.

The way to do this all the way back to early versions of A:M is to use Camera Rotoscopes.

If the current features of A:M aren't available to you then in a pinch that will do.

It's been a very long time since I've played with v13 and don't have it installed to check, so I will yield the floor to others who do.

It's very easy in v16 and I'm putting a video tutorial together on it now.

I thank you for asking because in the process of formulating an answer I've learned something new.

Tips and Troubleshooting: When using Rotoscopes to edit sequences it's best to be in the Front view. If the Roto is applied to a Camera you can view the Roto in any Camera view. When rendering with Alpha Channels make sure your Roto's settings specify to add the Roto in the Alpha Channel otherwise it'll be invisible in rendered views.

Bottom line: It is possible to edit videos in v13. As I recall Martin Hash himself used v13 to edit quite a few scenes from TWO. (Robert, am I thinking later versions?)

• Hash Fellow

In v15 or later you can drag an image sequence from the Images folder to the chor, use it as "Rotoscope" and it appears as a green bar in the chor that you can slide and trim. In V13 you can't do that in the chor.

Possibly the feature was added in V14 but i dont' have v14 to test that.

• Hash Fellow

I'll second Rodney's advice that a dedicated editing program will likely be advantageous.

I'm not sure what's out there in the "free" category but If you have bought any sort of a camcorder in the last few years they almost always come with some sort of program that does basic editing.