Keylogger

Paul Forwood

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A keylogger is a program that hides either on your computer or within the code of a website and sends a log of all the keys you press (passwords, account information, etc) to someone else. Keyloggers on web sites are often hidden in advertisement banners so they can pop up on legitimate sites. hash.com doesn't have any ad banners, though, so who knows.

• Hash Fellow

That's alarming.

Is it possible your A:M has been infected somehow?

Uninstall and delete your A:M (of course, you'll save your master0.lic file) and download a new installer. Scan it just to be safe, then install it again and see if these alerts go away.

What program is doing the alerting on your computer?

I would not bother to reinstall A:M. If you did have a malware keylogger program on your system, it would not be in A:M. It would be in some program that runs in the background all the time, so it can monitor all your keystrokes (like the clock), or, more likely, in its own program with a cryptic name that runs in the background all the time.

Kaspersky is normally quite good (their detection of malware is among the best), but they blew it here. They are detecting a behavior that keyloggers do, but it turns out lots of legitimate programs also do it. I would be tempted to just tell Kaspersky, "Don't tell me about detections of this kind any more." They usually have a way to do it. And I would leave it at that.

-Vance

P.S., I used to be a developer on Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security