Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

warping ground

Master chief

hey guys long time no see

i have been trying to get an effect similar to this

tiberium_crystal_in_game_by_slocik.jpg

not the crystals them self but the cracking pattern on the ground, making ground is easy enough but the few methods i have tried so far don't quite work for the cracks as its ether virtually impossible to get the lines to match the terrain grid or it just doesn't line up. additionally i cant seam to make textures blend into each other vs a hard line.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
hey guys long time no see

i have been trying to get an effect similar to this

tiberium_crystal_in_game_by_slocik.jpg

not the crystals them self but the cracking pattern on the ground, making ground is easy enough but the few methods i have tried so far don't quite work for the cracks as its ether virtually impossible to get the lines to match the terrain grid or it just doesn't line up. additionally i cant seam to make textures blend into each other vs a hard line.

I think those cracks are a decal. A color decal and a bump or displacement decal.

ok so this is my current results

crystal.bmp

however my crystals dont quite look it and my latest attempt at the ground failed, is there a way to have a texture slowly fade out rather than cut off compleatly ?

oh any ideas on how to make my crystals look better would be helpful.

That is for what an alpha-channel is used. You will need to choose a TGA (32bit) or a PNG-file-texture. (or EXR, but that is a different story)

All others won't work.

Here is a video-tutorial for creating alpha-channels.

Alpha-channels don't have to be white or black, but they can be any grey-level between it. This defines half-transparencies...

If you have more questions, let me know.

I may create a tutorial on doing it in future too, but till now that should give you your answer about that.

See you

*Fuchur*

OK looked at that mat and it helped quite a bit, know i have 2 more problems to sort out.

1st materials appear to completely over right the surface there set to as shown in my render

test2.png

I tryed using the same material as the second part of the material for the green stuff but it didn't look the same so i thought that having part clear would work, guess not , any one know i Way i can fix this

2nd i currently have quite a hard edge in the above picture is there any way to simply fade out the texture as it moves along a surface similar to this

Tiberium_Green.jpg

i realize that in the picture the cracks on he ground are probably just images but they have the look I'm going for, how the cracks peter out the farther they get from the crystal

• Hash Fellow

The spherical combiner can make, for example, a black circle in a white area. It can also make a soft edge to that.

If you changed the black attribute to be like the crack material and change the white material to be all default with nothing set it will make the crack material fade out to the edge of what was the black circle and leave everything else to be whatever it was before the material was applied.

• Hash Fellow

Great crackly material, John!

Here's my attempt using a spherical combiner to limit John's crackly material. I transplanted (with a text editor) John's material into the first node of a spherical combiner. I sized Ring1 to make the center area big enough and then sized ring2 to extend the rest of theway past the edge of the object.

Spherical scale Y is set to 0 to make it form concentric vertical cylinders rather than concentric spheres.

testmat3.prj

fadeMat.JPG

If you need an irregular area affected by the crackly thing, however, a decal approach is easier.