Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

save issues

themike38

hi there i now am the proud owner of AM v16 :yay: i did lesson number 2 the chorus line but it wont let me save the animation, i keep getting ( aviFileCreateStreamError ) then i get ( unableToSaveFile ) anyone know why?????????

thanks

Mike

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

try this...

-under Render to File Settings check "advanced"

-Do Format>Save Options>Set

-Choose "Uncompressed"

This will make a very large file, but should render OK.

AVISave.JPG

• Admin

You may experience some problems with rendering out to AVI/MOV in the 64 bit version.

For the time being I recommend using the 24 bit version for rendering to movie formats (You can't render to MOV currently in the 64bit release as there are issues with Apple's .MOV porting to 64bit). Both 24bit and 64bit can be installed at the same time on your computer of course.

It is generally recommended that you render out to a image sequence first (TGA, JPG, PNG etc) first for a variety of reasons (for instance, if the power goes out while rendering you won't lose all your rendered images and can just pick up where you left off. Recompile them as a movie once you have all the images as you want them.

With v16 you can also launch Netrender to do the work.

try this...

-under Render to File Settings check "advanced"

-Do Format>Save Options>Set

-Choose "Uncompressed"

This will make a very large file, but should render OK.

AVISave.JPG

hi Robcat i tried that and it did work a little but will only alow me to save 3 frames of it. i am running windows 7 on the 64 bit download

You may experience some problems with rendering out to AVI/MOV in the 64 bit version.

For the time being I recommend using the 24 bit version for rendering to movie formats (You can't render to MOV currently in the 64bit release as there are issues with Apple's .MOV porting to 64bit). Both 24bit and 64bit can be installed at the same time on your computer of course.

It is generally recommended that you render out to a image sequence first (TGA, JPG, PNG etc) first for a variety of reasons (for instance, if the power goes out while rendering you won't lose all your rendered images and can just pick up where you left off. Recompile them as a movie once you have all the images as you want them.

With v16 you can also launch Netrender to do the work.

Hi Rodney yes i am running the 64 bit download. not sure what you mean about net render or how that works, and are you saying i need to download the 24 bit version, ( i thought the othe version was 32 bit ).i was able to save a png file of this but still no luck saving the avi file except for about 3 frames of it. i did double check and yes i have it set for 00:02:00.

thanks

Mike

Are you trying to render to a folder you don't have write access to?

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\... is not the ideal place to be writing data to! (That was Robcat's screen capture, but double-check on yours as well.)

Try changing the Filename setting to a known writable location.

yes i have loads of hard drive space i just bought a new system and it has 2-2tb sata 7200rpm drives, the save path i am trying to save to is in my documents i created a file for all the am projects i do. like i say i was able to save a png and it did save 930kb of the avi move but thats it.

thanks

mike

( i thought the othe version was 32 bit )

Yes. Sorry. I should have said 32bit.

(I should have been sleeping rather than typing :blink: )

thanks ill give it a try. one more thing is that i downloaded the extras cd and i put it in the v16 folder but in the tabs all it shows me is a question mark over the folders, why is this. You guys are going to regreat me coming back to am.lollllll :blink:

• Admin

Okay... this is all 'as far as I know'...

The Extra DVD is (unfortunately) not set up for use with Libraries. (The previous A:M Extra CD was)

Each asset on the DVD (Project files, Models, Materials, Actions etc.) was added to the DVD more or less as it was found or arrived.

Each asset's Library Icon is contained within the asset file itself (the icon image code is embedded as part of the same text file).

If the creator of the asset didn't apply an icon to the asset then no icon will appear in the Library.

If the asset is missing in action (it's not where it's Library shortcut is pointing to) A:M cannot find the specified file and therefore cannot display the file's embedded icon. A:M places a question mark icon there to let you know the status of that asset effectively saying... "This asset is not where you are telling me it is. So, where is your file?" If A:M can find the file but there is no assigned icon A:M will display the asset's default (no frills) icon.

So the simple solution to removing a Question mark icon in a Library is to place the asset in the location where the Library shortcut suggest it resides. In cases of large Libary collections it may be easier to delete/remove your current Library and substitute a new Library that correcty captures the location of where your assets reside. In case it's important, each Library is at it's core (prior to any asset shortcuts being added) an empty text file with the extension '.lbr'.

Additional information you never asked for:

There are several things you can do here (and there are several things as a community we can do better in the future).

- Note that you can use the assets on the DVD without the Library (championing the use of A:M Libraries when people tend not to use them is a tough battle to fight)

- Apply your own Icons (For instance you can open the asset in a Modeling Window, Right Click and select Create Icon)

Note: You'll want to do this only after copying your DVD assets to your harddrive as you cannot change the files on the DVD! So... apply the changes to copies on your harddrive and file your DVD away as a back up copy)

- Use A:M Libraries

- Encourage others to use A:M Libraries

Note: I find that I am currently Library agnostic but fully support those who like those really cool icons in A:M Libraries. :)

A:M Library extra tidbit: Add your rendered images into A:M Libraries under the Images tab for easy dragging and dropping as Rotoscopes and Layers. They work best when Alpha Channel transparencies are applied!

I would recommend you to first render to image-sequences like TGA or EXR (depending on what you want to do with it afterwards).

After that you can create an avi with it and will not loose your rendering if something goes wrong.

After rendering the images you can use A:M or an external programm to produce a movie-file with it.

So first of test if you can output images.

If you have done that, try to create a movie-file from the images with A:M.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To create a movie-file from an image-sequence:

- Right-click on the "Images"-folder and choose "Import as Image Sequence".

- In the opening filebrowser, click on the first image of the sequence and make sure the little checkbox "import as imagesequence" is checked at the left bottom of the filebrowser-window.

- Hit open.

- Right-click on the newly imported image-sequence and choose "Save As".

- Choose your outputformat, etc.

- Hit save as.

(this description is taken from my memory, so there may be some buttons etc. which may be named a little bit different, but you should see what I am talking about.)

See you

*Fuchur*

Okay... this is all 'as far as I know'...

The Extra DVD is (unfortunately) not set up for use with Libraries. (The previous A:M Extra CD was)

Each asset on the DVD (Project files, Models, Materials, Actions etc.) was added to the DVD more or less as it was found or arrived.

Each asset's Library Icon is contained within the asset file itself (the icon image code is embedded as part of the same text file).

If the creator of the asset didn't apply an icon to the asset then no icon will appear in the Library.

If the asset is missing in action (it's not where it's Library shortcut is pointing to) A:M cannot find the specified file and therefore cannot display the file's embedded icon. A:M places a question mark icon there to let you know the status of that asset effectively saying... "This asset is not where you are telling me it is. So, where is your file?" If A:M can find the file but there is no assigned icon A:M will display the asset's default (no frills) icon.

So the simple solution to removing a Question mark icon in a Library is to place the asset in the location where the Library shortcut suggest it resides. In cases of large Libary collections it may be easier to delete/remove your current Library and substitute a new Library that correcty captures the location of where your assets reside. In case it's important, each Library is at it's core (prior to any asset shortcuts being added) an empty text file with the extension '.lbr'.

Additional information you never asked for:

There are several things you can do here (and there are several things as a community we can do better in the future).

- Note that you can use the assets on the DVD without the Library (championing the use of A:M Libraries when people tend not to use them is a tough battle to fight)

- Apply your own Icons (For instance you can open the asset in a Modeling Window, Right Click and select Create Icon)

Note: You'll want to do this only after copying your DVD assets to your harddrive as you cannot change the files on the DVD! So... apply the changes to copies on your harddrive and file your DVD away as a back up copy)

- Use A:M Libraries

- Encourage others to use A:M Libraries

Note: I find that I am currently Library agnostic but fully support those who like those really cool icons in A:M Libraries. :)

A:M Library extra tidbit: Add your rendered images into A:M Libraries under the Images tab for easy dragging and dropping as Rotoscopes and Layers. They work best when Alpha Channel transparencies are applied!

thanks Rodney I too think i should have been sleeping instead of being up allnight playing with AM ( good thing im single or im sure i would be soon :rolleyes: ) Ill have to go in and see that i am using the correct path. I do like the info on aquiring a pic for the library as i believe you are correct that some contributers did not add a pic in there.

thanks again

Mike