Hash, Inc. Forums

Resetting all settings

Zaryin

All of my choreographies are all of a sudden not rendering properly, especially in reflections. I don't know what went wrong, but if I can't fix it, that will be it for me an A:M. I'm hoping I accidentilly hit a setting or something that is now screwing it up. I would like to restore the default settings, but don't know how.

I've already made sure all my reflection settings were good. I also uninstalled and reinstalled. Please, any help is appreciated and needed.

Here's a quik render of spidey in a new chor and in the chor I've been using in my Spider-man thread.

Jeff B.

EDIT: Please ignore this stupid post. I don't know how but somehow I had fog turned on, haha. So it seems to be good now. I did say I totally forgot what I was doing with this program :).

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Admin
but if I can't fix it, that will be it for me an A:M.

Jeff,

This is the part I'd be most concerned with as it suggests a deeper frustration.

Not trying to pry... just trying to understand... as anyone that uses complex software will (without fail) face frustrating challenges.

I've found a golden rule in software to be "Never blame the software."

While there are exceptions to every rule I've found this to be a very reliable one to remember. I've also seen it validated time after time when users response to a particular frustration after it has been resolved by saying, "Whoops, my bad!".

In your case, my thoughts turn to what would have happened had you not realized the source of your problem was a fog setting.

Would you really have called it quits with A:M?

Thankfully, because you resolved the problem, we won't need to know the answer.

Why even bring this up?

Because sooner or later everyone will get frustrated and want to blame the software when the source of the frustration will be an overlooked setting or simply user error.

Thanks for sharing your experience Jeff.

That's why this forum is here.

Just to mention it:

Sometimes a "Help > Reset Settings" helps in such cases when you can't see why something is happening and it is connected to a setting in A:M...

Glad that you could figure it out so :).

See you

*Fuchur*

No, what I meant is that it would be it for me and A:M until I could get a new pc, if my computer was the problem. I should have clarified. It wasn't the software I was worried about, it's the cruddy Vista PC I'm running it on. Sorry for the confusion onthat :).

• Admin
No, what I meant is that it would be it for me and A:M until I could get a new pc, if my computer was the problem. I should have clarified. It wasn't the software I was worried about, it's the cruddy Vista PC I'm running it on. Sorry for the confusion onthat .

Don't even get me started on computers. At the rate I wear them out I think I need to find a way to budget for a new computer every year. :blink:

My current laptop/battery doesn't like to hold a charge for more than a few minutes when disconnected from the power cable... and that cable/port/connector is broken on the back of the laptop... (I'd blame my daughter for that for tripping on the power cord and breaking off the center of the power plug on the computer but... I'm sure I could have been a little more careful in my choice of where to sit and browse the internet on my computer. I suppose a second Rule of Computers might be... don't blame family members for the current state of your computer...)

At any rate, I'm glad you got your issue sorted. :)

Added: There is an interesting lesson for me to learn here as well.

Sometimes I am a bit too ready to assume people will blame A:M for their misfortunes when that may not be the case.

I assure you, the irony of that fact given my previous post is not lost on me.

I can't even use my laptop to run A:M because my disc drive broke, haha. I'm hoping to get a new pc in the next few months, but until then most of my programs run buggy on my pc. I could buy a version of W7, but I think I'll just wait a few months.

I've been using A:M since v8 and still love it. I will probably upgrade when they come up with a viable "disc" solution ie: usb dongle, etc...

No, what I meant is that it would be it for me and A:M until I could get a new pc, if my computer was the problem. I should have clarified. It wasn't the software I was worried about, it's the cruddy Vista PC I'm running it on. Sorry for the confusion onthat .

Don't even get me started on computers. At the rate I wear them out I think I need to find a way to budget for a new computer every year. :blink:

My current laptop/battery doesn't like to hold a charge for more than a few minutes when disconnected from the power cable... and that cable/port/connector is broken on the back of the laptop... (I'd blame my daughter for that for tripping on the power cord and breaking off the center of the power plug on the computer but... I'm sure I could have been a little more careful in my choice of where to sit and browse the internet on my computer. I suppose a second Rule of Computers might be... don't blame family members for the current state of your computer...)

At any rate, I'm glad you got your issue sorted. :)

Added: There is an interesting lesson for me to learn here as well.

Sometimes I am a bit too ready to assume people will blame A:M for their misfortunes when that may not be the case.

I assure you, the irony of that fact given my previous post is not lost on me.

I cant see why people always buy laptops... most users dont need them, they are expensive, not very fast (compared to equally expensive desktop-pcs), get old very fast and will sooner or later give you trouble. Not to mention the display-size, which is very likely smaller too...

For stuff that is highly based on CPU / graphics-power: Use a desktop, not a laptop or netbook.

For surfing in the internet or driving with the train, use a netbook. You will get both for a price that will not be much higher than the one for a good laptop.

Yeah, I'm still debating if I want to get a new pc or a laptop. There's a new Asus laptop I saw at Best Buy with quad 2.0 ghz processors. It looked good, but it's $1000. I could buy a far better pc with that kind of money and get it with wi-fi so I could at least move it around the house. I just don't know where i want ot go next...

• Admin
I cant see why people always buy laptops...

For me its mostly been a matter of convenience. I can be anywhere in the house or even the road with the same computer.

It's much harder (i.e. impossible!) to do the same thing with a desktop.

In many ways I do favor a desktop... more sturdy and reliable (and as you say...cheaper!) and I know I'd get more work done on a desktop as I tend to relax and get distracted (usually browsing the internet) entirely too much on the laptop. I still have a few of my old desktops sitting idle and hope to resurrect them for basic usage one of these days. Right now it'd be hard to live without my laptop. (We like them so much my family has three)

One specific reason I favor my laptop... it has A:M v16 installed on it. :)

My needs were basically a portable desktop -- performance and mobility. I ended up with a high-end gaming laptop (ASUS G73JW-A1), which for a laptop is generous in screen (17.3" FullHD GeForce GTX 460M w/1.5GB), RAM (8GB), disk space (1TB), and a not-bad processor (i7-740QM). It meets or exceeds all of my current software development and animation needs, but I paid a lot more for it. (I got to write it off on my taxes for work, however, so it was effective 40% cheaper!)

If you don't need the mobility aspect, a laptop does not make sense.