Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

TAoA:M forum activity

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add a bump ...

My reasoning is if the forum is buried, new people are not going to find this forum. If they don't find the forum, they are working on TAoA:M completely on their own. If they get stuck, they quit not just TAoA:M, but also A:M. We lose fellow animators in the future.

• Admin

I don't think anyone would argue against having more emphasis on TaoA:M.

Most would agree the old TaoA:M is in need of a good update however and that'll take some dedicated effort.

So, do we emphasize the current TaoA:M or develop a new and improved one?

Whose in for learning via TaoA:M?

Whose in for creating new/improved TaoA:M content?

For beginners, simple is always going to be better.

The trouble with that approach is that few care to consider themselves beginners.

• Hash Fellow

I'd volunteer to supervise and edit TAoA:M revisions

-As I see it the current modeling tuts in the middle are all pretty solid. A specific "mechanical modeling" tut might be a good addition.

-The special features tuts like cloth and dynamics are good but perhaps could use fuller examples

-I would definitely change the rigging tut to use something more modern than the A:M 2001 rig

-The animation tuts that lead off TAoA:M are most in need of rethinking. Channels and keyframe editing need to be introduced

Many of these new&improved tuts could be largely adapted from tutorials that forum members have already done.

• Admin

Unless I am mistaken, it looks like we've got a willing volunteer to head up a TaoA:M revision! Yay! :yay:

Let me know what you need from me.

Do you prefer TaoA:M development to be in the open forum and/or to have a separate place where contributors can test and experiment in private? Perhaps both public and private areas?

Edit: It should be noted that a forum revision of TaoA:M doesn't necessarily equate to a new TaoA:M manual etc. That will require Hash Inc buy in and a willingness to break away from the tried and true.

-I would definitely change the rigging tut to use something more modern than the A:M 2001 rig

Unless Hash adopts a new rig that will be included with the Data folder, this probably shouldn't be changed.

Maybe a "TaoA:M Advanced" should be considered instead.

• Hash Fellow
Edit: It should be noted that a forum revision of TaoA:M doesn't necessarily equate to a new TaoA:M manual etc. That will require Hash Inc buy in and a willingness to break away from the tried and true.

If it were a pinned series of tuts in the forum that would be adequate .

Making it print-ready to try to replace the printed TAoA:M would be a whole 'nother magnitude of labor.

• Hash Fellow

Unless Hash adopts a new rig that will be included with the Data folder, this probably shouldn't be changed.

My goal is to get past that "probably shouldn't" and over to "probably should".

Wow, this ended up being much bigger in scope than just moving the forum.

I agree that TAoA:M has some things that are fine and others that would be nice to have updated. At the moment, I have a few too many other responsibilities to take on any significant role, but I could probably participate here and there (e.g. review and try out chapters). I think in general it would be nice to have models updated to the A:M 2008 rig (or other suitable rig), update the rigging chapter based on that, modify Cosmic Bowling to incorporate Newton, mechanical modelling and bevels, etc. I wonder if Hash Inc. would be willing to do the formatting and layout and publication if the forum members wrote the content?

As far as the current TAoA:M forum goes, I think it still has worth until something better comes along, even though it has the tutorials have become a bit dated. Can we still move it so it's easier to find? Or do you think that's a bad idea?

My goal is to get past that "probably shouldn't" and over to "probably should".

Then I guess you are suggesting Hash adopt a new rig? Which one?

The 2001 rig is probably the simplest rig to install, for a beginner. The only thing I would suggest is to set the rig up to use the "Mirrorbones" plugin. I have place a request for mirror mode to work in bones mode, for installation of rigs, but I doubt that will happen, since I requested it some time ago.

• Admin
Can we still move it so it's easier to find? Or do you think that's a bad idea?

It's certainly not a bad idea but it'd be nice to have an active moderator championing TaoA:M while its in the limelight.

To remain vital, TaoA:M needs an attendant or two and I confess at present I don't have the time. (Maybe next year sometime)

I moved the TaoA:M forum only after much consideration and after reviewing how much of the online TaoA:M forum needed updating. Changes to the Hash Inc website broke some links and those will need to be updated to make navigating the forum worth while. My practical thought for the moment is that if a motivated newbie cannot find the TaoA:M forum they aren't likely to get through the TaoA:M exercises. TaoA:M requires something of a commitment to seeking things out.

The move is easy but the real question is 'Once the forum is moved, what will newbies find'?

There is good reason to refresh the TaoA:M forum... for instance, all of the exercises are now available via Youtube!

What this seems to signal to me is that a new TaoA:M forum should be created and the old one archived.