Hash, Inc. Forums

Rolling coin action

pierrotsc

I do not know if someone has already done. That. I am trying to simulate a coin that is rolling on its side then it spins around, wabbles and stops flat.

I can make the rolling part but the stopping part is tougher. Should i create an action and make it spin and fall by interpolation or should I use muscle?

Thanks.

Pierre

Muscle animation is for meshes that you need to make some shape-changing change to. A rolling coin wouldn't need to do that. Animating it with bones sounds most likely.

I see...bones would warp the coin i guess..or it would create the illusion. I guess i may have to look on how a coin behave when it rolls and fall.

Thanks for the hint.

Pierre

You could use Newton Simulation and experiment with the results.

Here's a quick try. I made a coin model and a ramp. Coin is positioned above the ramp and made a dynamic object (ramp and ground are made static objects). When the simulation runs, the coin drops, hits the ramp, rolls down it and into the view of the camera.

I played with changing the kinetic friction and gravity. (I made the kinetic friction .35 and the Y gravity -6.)

With a fair amount of trial and error, you might get what you need.

cointest.mov

Just for fun, I played with just spinning the coin. Here I animated a few key frames to spin the coin around and then the Newton keeps it going for awhile before it comes down.

It's a lot of fun just playing around with Newton.

coinspin.mov

One note: Create your coin model with the center at the center axis.

• Hash Fellow

For control freaks who need to precisely choreograph the coin's death... here's an all manual approach, made easy with bones:

CoinRoll_600.mov

RollingCoin03.prj

the "Ground level" bone moves the coin around the center.

The "axis" bone is a child of the "Ground level" bone and is the axis of the coin and has two poses. One pose keeps it tilted toward the origin of the "Ground level" bone. The other is a slider that moves it closer to the origin of the "Ground level" bone.

I only had to make keyframes at the beginning and the end:

the "Ground level" bone turns 1440°, 4 revolutions

the "axis" bone is spun on Z to make the coin "roll" ( I just eyeballed it quickly, it's not exact here.)

the slider moves from 0 to 100 % to move the coin closer to the center.

CoinChannels.JPG

Here's a project with the basics. I've put two choreographies in here. One has already had Newton simulated (Newton) and one has everything ready to simulate (Setup).

spincoin.prj

[EDIT] Here's what the pre-simulated cho looks like:

coinspin.mp4

Thank you very much. let me study it...a lot i do not know about dynamics. i am going to look through the forum to see if i find tutorials about that.

Pierre

You could use Newton Simulation and experiment with the results.

Here's a quick try. I made a coin model and a ramp. Coin is positioned above the ramp and made a dynamic object (ramp and ground are made static objects). When the simulation runs, the coin drops, hits the ramp, rolls down it and into the view of the camera.

I played with changing the kinetic friction and gravity. (I made the kinetic friction .35 and the Y gravity -6.)

With a fair amount of trial and error, you might get what you need.

cointest.mov

Largento, could I also get this project to look at the dynamic of the rolling coin?

Thank you very much.

Pierre

Thanks..I have a question. When you say that the second choregraphy has everything set to run. What do you mean? Can i just substitute my object?

I know about reusable actions, but can a choregraphy setup be reused?

Sincerely,

Pierre

Using Newton, it actually simulates gravity. So, you set up your choreography and select which objects will be part of the simulation (as static objects or dynamic objects) and then right-click on the choreography in the PWS and go to: Plug-Ins/Simulate Newton. Then the simulation will run and keyframes will be made for every single frame in the length of the choreography.

So, in the first one, I've simulated Newton and this has happened. In the second, I haven't. So you can see how I had everything set prior to running the simulation.

Once you've run the simulation, you can re-use it. Simply rotate the triangle by the object in the PWS, so that you can dig down to the Choreography Action folder. Right-click it and select "Export as Action..." Then, you can open a new choreography. Bring in the object and drop the action on it.

I did it in another way.

- created a spiral path, put the Coin move on the path.

- created two separate actions for the Coin, Action1_Spin and Action2_LayDown.

- put these 2 actions to the Coin and changed Action Blend Method to Add.

Actions_BlendMethod.gif

- adjust the high of spiral path to keep the Coin touch the Ground.

(frame by frame from start Action2_LayDown to end)

SpinningCoin_LeftSide.gif

Camera view.

SpinningCoin_CamView.gif

This is the Project file.

CoinTest_a02.prj

I think, I will Bake All Action and test with NewtonPhysics.