Hash, Inc. Forums

Bizarre FAQ E-mails

Darkwing

I've just recently (as in within a couple days) just started getting notifications from the AM FAQ site from weird e-mail addresses. When I click on the link, it takes me to the FAQ site but nothing's there. Also, to my knowledge, I don't think I ever registered an account there, so I'm not sure why I'm getting e-mails in the first place. Of course I may have registered a long time ago and don't remember, but I dunno.

post-9859-1308323154_thumb.png

post-9859-1308323193_thumb.png

1) Don't click on ANY link in an email from someone you don't know (unless you are expecting emails from unknown people)

2) If you get an email from someone you know, and it contains a link, and the email doesn't really say anything that proves that the sender actually knows who you are, reply to your friend and ask them if they really did send you that link.

I have gotten several emails from people I "know" with a few short generic sentences and a link to a malicious website. Needless to say, my friend never sent the questionable email. A not so nice person can easily send emails that appear to come from some trusted source, but the link actually takes you someplace you didn't want to go.

• Admin

I didn't even know the A:M FAQ sent out emails.

Links here in the forum are generally trustworthy because a whole community filters them (of course if old the resource may not exist any more but at least they aren't malicious).

Clicking on any link in any email constitutes a risk to you because only you are filtering them.

So... you have to remember to filter them!

As Holmes suggests any email that seems 'bizarre' in any way should be immediately suspect.

Clicking on a bizarre link is inherently more risky.

And I don't normally, I know first hand, well second really as I've helped people recover their PCs after they clicked a linky they shouldn't have...

Least I'm a Mac user :D

Yeah, anyways, I was just wondering if this was some sort of automated bot thingy or what, because I would find it odd that the FAQ would send notifications, especially if it wasn't something I had posted on or something like that. I dunno, but yeah, was just wondering

Can you forward those to support@hash.com ?

The FAQ should not be sending emails and those do not look to be from a hash email.

Depending on your email program, it might be best to forward the email as an attachment. That way, all of the headers that are normally hidden will be included, and it will be more clear where the email came from.

And I don't normally, I know first hand, well second really as I've helped people recover their PCs after they clicked a linky they shouldn't have...

Least I'm a Mac user :D

Yeah, anyways, I was just wondering if this was some sort of automated bot thingy or what, because I would find it odd that the FAQ would send notifications, especially if it wasn't something I had posted on or something like that. I dunno, but yeah, was just wondering

Unfortunately, many fake links aren't reliant on platform. Hackers can embed cross-platform trojans and keyloggers in things like Flash "advertisements" on fake web sites. And many links may not be what they seem; the text of the link could be different than the actual link or there may be a subtle/legit sounding misspelling.

Unless I'm expecting something like a registration email where you click the link after creating an account, I never click links in emails. If it's a trusted site, just go the site it claims it came from and log in manually.

The email you got doesn't sound particularly dangerous, but better safe than sorry!