Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Not Rendering Correct Frame - What am I doing wrong.

Gorf

OK you can tell from my profile and A:M version I've been around for a while - but I've had my second loong hiatus from A:M so I think I count as a newbie while I'm getting back into it.

Just need to know what I'm doing wrong here - this is what I'm seeing in the camera view in the choreography

KongChor.jpg

but this is what happens with the render

KongRend.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... just to make it clear: You are rendering the right frame, right? You need to render frame 29 (actually 29,5, but that is not a real frame, so 29 or 30 should look very similar to your realtime-view)

See you

*Fuchur*

Many thanks for the reply. I was rendering a TGA sequence - 00:01:00 to 00:01:00

Oddly enough - when I rendered with alpha, hair, reflections and shadows, it seems to be OK

KongHair.jpg

I'll try to see at what point it failed...

[edit] OK it seems very odd. Rendering with hair gets the pose right (or at least, the same as the wireframe in the chor). Without har, you get the odd left hand and head pose.

Any ideas?

That doesn't seem to be right. Can you post the project for testing? I doubt very highly turning hair OFF wiill cause that.

Project attached. Rendered using A:M 13.0t on a Core 2 duo XP home machine with 2GB memory

Render to file straight from opening - I get the expected pose with hair.

Render to file but turn off hair, I get the unexpected pose.

Kong2a.prj

It's a keyframe problem. That's what you have keyframed at 00:01:00. If you render 00:00:29, it will be what you want. What you want is actually between frames. You must have scaled the keyframes down from 00:02:00 to 00:01:00.

keyframes.jpg

It doesn't explain why turning hair on shows a different pose to having hair turned off, though.

The implication to my dim intellect is that I could set up a choreography and test it without hair (for render speed) and think everything's OK. Then when I render with hair overnight the results are different.

In the overall scheme of things, it's no big deal, I'm still trying to get back into A:M, but even so it would be nice to know why it makes a difference, not just that it does.

In the overall scheme of things, it's no big deal, I'm still trying to get back into A:M, but even so it would be nice to know why it makes a difference, not just that it does.

You have keyframes set on your model at frame 29.5 and at frame 30. When you go to render without hair, it seems to render frame 30. When you go to render with hair it is probably rendering frame 29 (or 29.5). Since you didn't include the hair material, can't check to confirm.

Doesn't matter why, you will have to make a change.

Do you really want a key frame at 29.5? Delete the keyframe you don't want & move the one you want to frame 29 or frame 30.

untitled29.jpg

untitled30.jpg

• Admin

You should also be able to select your Keyframes, Right Click and select "Snap to Frame".

The Apostrophe is the shortcut key for 'Snap to Frame'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested in Shortcut Keys... read on:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other handy shortcut keys well worth learning as we can use them elsewhere in Windows and A:M. For instance:

A quick way to Snap all Frames on the current channel is to quickly select the Comma key followed by the Apostrophe key. Like this: ,'

Control A grabs all keys in the current windows and snaps them to frame.

Whacking the Period key once selects the compliment (opposite) keys from what you have selected.

Whacking the Period key again restores it to the original selection again.

The keys I wish I could commit to memory are the Interpolation Keys: 6,7,8,9 and 0.

If I could remember them that'd make running through the Timeline tweaking interpolations a breeze.

Note that these shortcut keys (and more) can be found by Right Clicking and examining the menu.

Here's an example:

TimelineShortcuts.jpg