Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Trouble with Rendering Presets

I'm trying to collected as much data possible before reporting my AM crashing issues and trying to find out if AM creates a crash log and if so where it is stored.

While reading through reported AM bugs/problems and nosing around attached files, I ran in to a screenshot of AM being launched with an extra command switch -log added to the shortcut.

Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hash Inc\V15\Master.exe" -log

I assume this is for logging something.

Besides pictures, movies, project files and other useful data added to those reports I noticed some include crash reports. How ever I'm unable to find anything that looks like a crash log and can only find a log file what I believe to be all things loaded during AM's start up.

Does AM create crash logs, if so when? And where are the stored.

Regards,

Wildcard

I don't think there is a crash logger in A:M other than when Steffen is working on the code in a programming environment.

The best thing you can do to report a crash is to have a sample project and exact steps that will do it with that project and if possible... screencam it so the whole interface is visible and steffen can see things that aren't explicitly mentioned.

An example of one of my screencams documenting a crash can be seen here

http://www.hash.com/reports/view.php?id=5860

If you're having a lot of crashes, make sure your video card drivers are up to date, first.

I don't think there is a crash logger in A:M other than when Steffen is working on the code in a programming environment.

The best thing you can do to report a crash is to have a sample project and exact steps that will do it with that project and if possible... screencam it so the whole interface is visible and steffen can see things that aren't explicitly mentioned.

An example of one of my screencams documenting a crash can be seen here

http://www.hash.com/reports/view.php?id=5860

If you're having a lot of crashes, make sure your video card drivers are up to date, first.

The problem is, AM crashes when I don't have any project open. Simply trying to adjust the Rendering settings by selecting one of the preset profiles like Preview, Real-Time or any other except for custom will cause AM to crash on me once you hit the OK button to apply it. This is only with the AM V16 x64 version.

There isn't a whole lot to go on, I recently re-installed windows and AM so I got a pretty clean slate to work with, drivers are up 2 date your basic system troubleshooting has been done.

I fear it has to do something with OpenGL drivers from my NVIDIA GTX285, I'm unable to run on OpenGL on version V15, it simply crashes with in a very short time period. V16 (x86) on OpenGL runs a bit more stable, but will crash in a short time also. When I run AM v15 CD version on a virtual machine WinXP (Windows 7 Virtual machine XP) it just keeps on going and it's running surprisingly smooth compared to the limited amount of resources it has to work with and the virtual machine Microsoft OpenGL display driver.

I just ordered new computer parts what I'll be expecting hopefully with in the next two weeks. I'll see how AM runs on my new system and if it is as unstable and crash problematic as with my current one before I continue collecting data for a decent crash report.

The problem is, AM crashes when I don't have any project open. Simply trying to adjust the Rendering settings by selecting one of the preset profiles like Preview, Real-Time or any other except for custom will cause AM to crash on me once you hit the OK button to apply it.

Check the "advanced" box and use the regular render settings panel instead of the presets. This is just because you want to see all the settings anyway.

This is only with the AM V16 x64 version.

And you're sure you have the last version of v16, of course.

This doesn't sound like trouble anyone else is having but it does sound like video card trouble. But if 32-bit works, use it.

V16 is going to close soon so if you have something you can repeat with exact steps document it and report fast.

I just ordered new computer parts what I'll be expecting hopefully with in the next two weeks. I'll see how AM runs on my new system and if it is as unstable and crash problematic as with my current one before I continue collecting data for a decent crash report.

What you need most are steps to make a crash happen.

I've re-installed and re-downloaded both the 32bit and 64bit version of V16.0, it's only with the 64bit version where I have this reproducible crash by selecting a rendering preset. The whole custom preset is linked with the advanced check box and I've went through a wide range of adjustments in creating a custom rendering settings hopping to reproduce the crash there as well, but I've not found it yet.

I can work with the 64bit version, just need to manually set render settings and can't use the quick way by using one of the presets.

As for steps on how to produce it,

Start AM (V16.0 64bit)

go to options

select rendering tab and pick any rendering profile/preset except for custom and hit Ok.

Crash.

The crash I'm experiencing is, how should I say, so easily to stumble in to, it strikes me as odd that no one has reported it yet. What leave me to wonder if it might be something on my end, being hardware/driver related instead of something being broken in Animation Master. With new hardware arriving soon, I'm delaying my report until I can test it on a different win7 64bit machine.

Can an AM V16.0 installation of both 32bit and 64bit co-exist on the same PC, because the registry hive seems to be pointing to only one at the time.

Does any one have both installed and in working condition on a Win7 system?

The reason I'm asking is because when I look at the registry,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hash, Inc.\Folders v16.0

I find directory paths pointing to only one version

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hash, Inc.\Animation Master V16.0

I'm unable to tell if and to what version this is linked but am able to find rendering settings stuff located in here.

Start AM (V16.0 64bit)

go to options

select rendering tab and pick any rendering profile/preset except for custom and hit Ok.

Crash.

That crashes for me too! That's what we need! Steps that make it happen. Don't wait for more data. If you got something you can repeat, that's all the data we need.

I've reported it now.

The crash I'm experiencing is, how should I say, so easily to stumble in to, it strikes me as odd that no one has reported it yet.

I never use the not-advanced settings. Almost no one uses the not-advanced setting, because they want to be able to know what's being set in all details.

But you found it and now we know!

For now, use the Advanced version of the render panel and get animating!

You can save/reload your own presets of settings you've made from the advanced panel.

Can an AM V16.0 installation of both 32bit and 64bit co-exist on the same PC, because the registry hive seems to be pointing to only one at the time.

Does any one have both installed and in working condition on a Win7 system?

The reason I'm asking is because when I look at the registry,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hash, Inc.\Folders v16.0

I find directory paths pointing to only one version

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hash, Inc.\Animation Master V16.0

I'm unable to tell if and to what version this is linked but am able to find rendering settings stuff located in here.

I have had both versions of V16 installed. It's possible they may share some registry settings like most recent dir accessed. This should not cause a problem.

You may need the 32-bit version for some old third-party plugins that are not updated to 64-bit like TSM2

Start AM (V16.0 64bit)

go to options

Crash.

That crashes for me too! That's what we need! Steps that make it happen. Don't wait for more data. If you got something you can repeat, that's all the data we need.

I've reported it now.

The crash I'm experiencing is, how should I say, so easily to stumble in to, it strikes me as odd that no one has reported it yet.

I never use the not-advanced settings. Almost no one uses the not-advanced setting, because they want to be able to know what's being set in all details.

But you found it and now we know!

For now, use the Advanced version of the render panel and get animating!

You can save/reload your own presets of settings you've made from the advanced panel.

Dagnabit! I'm I the only Noob around here that uses those rendering presets!?!

I'm happy, you also experienced and was able to reproduce the problem, that have kept my occupied for the last few weeks.

Well at least I know my old hardware is still good and my video card ain't the blame.

This at least re-opens the idea to use my old system for Netrender.

Another possible reason no one caught it before is that it might be new. It's at least as new as V16 and if it only started a few betas ago that would have been long after every one had checked that "advanced" box and stopped seeing the default render panel.

I'm must be going crazy, now my 32bits version is having the same issue. For as before I could swear it was only with the 64bit version.

Any one with only the v16.0 32bits version installed, could you confirm you can use the rendering presets?

I've got some iteration of 32-bit V16a installed and it seemed to survive choosing a preset.

I've got some iteration of 32-bit V16a installed and it seemed to survive choosing a preset.

Err... V16a? It released yet? Cause I don't see any other versions on FTP.

Anyway, good to hear and read on Mantis that the bug has been stepped on and crushed. I'm hoping to get a hold of that new version soon.

Well it just show how filthy my mind is, I just misread the title of this thread as "trouble with rendering breasts". I shall now go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this