Hash, Inc. Forums

Cylindrical mapping?

pierrotsc

I look to see if there was a cylindrical mapping tutorial and could not find one. I ahve problem mapping a seamless image onto a cylinder. first of all, i want to know why it always default to a repeat of 3 in the x !!! it is seamless so i want the beginning to match my end around the cylinder.

Then, about the normals. Should they be pointing out of the cylinder or in?

Sometimes, my map shows up as a mirror image...

Any tutorial out there?

Thanks.

Pierre

• Hash Fellow
I look to see if there was a cylindrical mapping tutorial and could not find one. I have problem mapping a seamless image onto a cylinder.

make sure your cyl shape is centered about the Y axis. If it isn't that way in your model, make a pose that moves it there adn apply the decal in the pose.

Here's a case where I decal a face with cyl mapping

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=317888

first of all, i want to know why it always default to a repeat of 3 in the x !!! it is seamless so i want the beginning to match my end around the cylinder.

3 is the correct number for x. A:M uses one copy over a imaginarily flattened mesh as best it can and uses one more on each side to catch any stray bits of mesh that the first one didn't cover. This makes it possible for a rectangular decal to appear to wrap around a mesh that doesn't have a straight seam on the back.

Then, about the normals. Should they be pointing out of the cylinder or in?

Sometimes, my map shows up as a mirror image...

normals don't matter for decals.

• Hash Fellow
Thank you..Now i understand. Why would a decal be mirrored when you apply it? I position my image fine and it looks fine. when i apply it and render it, it is like i am looking in a mirror.

Thanks.

You may have to post an example case model, with the bitmap.

I suppose you could change the repeat to a negative number to flip it.

Thank you..Now i understand. Why would a decal be mirrored when you apply it? I position my image fine and it looks fine. when i apply it and render it, it is like i am looking in a mirror.

Thanks.

The cylindrical map will always be applied as if you were applying it in front view, and centered in x direction, regardless of how you position the image before hitting apply. The y extents can be varied - but not the horizontal or x extent for the original stamp. It will always have a 3 x 1 repeat.

So perhaps you are trying to do it from some other view, and trying to offset it in x in some way?

After you apply the image with cylindrical map - you can then change the repeat & how the decal is mapped by using A:M's uv editor. But your best bet is to create the image to be used with the imagery that you want to be on the front centered in the x direction.

Well something weird happened. After i saved the project and re rendered it, the decal was showing fine. Go wonder..

Thanks for all the decals explanation. Now i have a better understanding.

Thanks Robcat for the link to the tutorial. Cool head..

Pierre

...make sure your cyl shape is centered about the Y axis. If it isn't that way in your model, make a pose that moves it there and apply the decal in the pose.

Not really necessary. The cylinder can be any where and any orientation as shown in the attached image. The trick is to apply the Projection material (fitting_grips.mat) to a group (injector_grip_horz) and locally translate the material's pivot to be identical to that of the group (in this case -52.73, 27.05, -291.12). Then you can locally rotate the material to align it with the group (in this case X = 90 deg.).

horz_cyl_map.jpg

• 4 weeks later...