Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can I get a depth buffer in OpenEXR without multipass?

• Hash Fellow

As far as I know, you need to use multi pass to get OpenEXR renders to contain most buffers, including the depth buffer.

Or is there some way to use regular render and still get a depth buffer? It can't be a "normalized" depth buffer like the 8-bit renders get with the depth buffer switch ON (because that won't work with fakeAO, AFAIK)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, you need to use multi pass to get OpenEXR renders to contain most buffers, including the depth buffer.

Or is there some way to use regular render and still get a depth buffer? It can't be a "normalized" depth buffer like the 8-bit renders get with the depth buffer switch ON (because that won't work with fakeAO, AFAIK)

Dont think so... Maybe you can test if a 1pass is enough for the depth buffer (maybe blured?) and render the images in the usual way?

I can get a depth buffer if I render to png format, using either 1 pass multipass or just final (no multipass).

As far as I know - this is the buffer that fakeao does use. I rendered with alpha OFF, depth ON, save buffers ON, and got 2 files: xxxx-DepthBuffer0.png and xxxx0.png

EDIT: nevermind - I see that you want to render to .exr? I think I misunderstood? However, I could also get an openexr file with the depth buffer and the color alpha just rendering with final (no multipass) as well as doing it with just 1 pass. 32bitver16

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow

I haven't actually tried using an 8bit depth file on FakeAO but my intuition is it's gotta be an EXR depth file because fakeAO needs the extra precision.

You can render to PNG and have FakeAO applied to the render because it's using the internal hi precision depth buffer, but if I want to do my FakeAO in post it needs to be an EXR depth buffer.

You can render to PNG and have FakeAO applied to the render because it's using the internal hi precision depth buffer, but if I want to do my FakeAO in post it needs to be an EXR depth buffer.

Ok - as my edit above says - I was able to get a depth buffer when rendering to openexr, using both render methods - multipass (1 pass or more) and non-multipass (antialiased) - which are you not able to do?

And I agree - it probably is the openexr type of depth buffer that is being used by fakeao.