Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Animating an object from wireframe to textured

pierrotsc

I would like to make a 2 seconds animation of a simple object rotating. I would like it to start as a wireframe and as it rotate becomes fully textured and then back to wireframe.

Is that something possible to do?

If so, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Pierre

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

How about render the animation once as wire frame and once as "final" and then dissolve between the two?

You could put them both as rotoscopes in a chor and adjust the transparency of the top one to reveal the other.

• Admin

There is a trick JohnL3D can show you that involves animated textures.

You can use that to gain the look of the wireframe with Patch Images.

Basically, what you do is animate the transparency of the textures (fading it in) while animating the Patch images (fading them out).

If you have a video editor, it's simply a matter of rendering the the spin once in wireframe, then again in shaded; then fading between the two. If you don't, or just want to do it all within A:M, either of the above techniques work great.

There is a trick JohnL3D can show you that involves animated textures.

You can use that to gain the look of the wireframe with Patch Images.

Basically, what you do is animate the transparency of the textures (fading it in) while animating the Patch images (fading them out).

Thanks for all the answers. Where can I find the trick from JohnL3D? is it a tutorial, a project?

I would like to do everything in AM and not try to involve another software.

Thanks.

Pierre

I dont' know the exact project but John's various tinkerings are in Tinkering Gnome's Workshop

Give that a look.

Thanks I found it...It is called swept to wireframe it looks like from the movie attached.

Now i am still running v11. I have not used AM in a long time and just need it for a small project. I started in 1990 with JourneyMan on the Amiga:)

I cannot load this prj file. I guess it was created with a newer version. Is it possible to export a prj file to have it read with an earlier version?

Thanks.

Pierre

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back to A:M!

Yes the file format changed with V13 and it's not feasible to convert a PRJ.

However you can get that effect with the dissolve I mentioned earlier.

Or... I took a look a John's PRJ and I'm not sure how it works since he hasn't used "render as lines" as I thought he did.

Whatever he did can be done in V11 but he'll need to pop in to reveal it.

• Hash Fellow

His says "swept"... he used the sweeper wizard (may not exist in v11) to extrude small circular cross section along each spline.

Dong the dissolve we mentioned earlier will be much easier for you.

His says "swept"... he used the sweeper wizard (may not exist in v11) to extrude small circular cross section along each spline.

Dong the dissolve we mentioned earlier will be much easier for you.

I am not familiar with the sweeper wizard so i guess v 11 does not have it.

I may need some help with the dissolve method. I assume that you dissolve the material to make it transparent via the timeline. What i do not get is on how to make the object wireframe appeared. If i dissolve the materials, i will get a solid non textured object but not a wireframe...

thanks for any input..

PS: If someone can create a video of a sphere that change from solid to wireframe, i would appreciate it. I guess i cannot get a project as i may not be able to load it.

First, how are you using this video? What are you putting this video in? If you are putting this in other video it' s just a simple dissolve in your editing program.

Got it...I thought you were talking about dissolve in AM, not another editing program. Yep, i can do that. Render the wireframe and render the fully textured, then use a third party program. i'll try that...Thanks...

PS: If someone can create a video of a sphere that change from solid to wireframe, i would appreciate it. I guess i cannot get a project as i may not be able to load it.

Select all cps of your model, right click/add image - the image is a solid surrounded by black on all sides. It will give you a wireframe look (except for 5 pointers - will look like triangular faces)

For this example, I also decaled the thom model (blue) & then I varied the percent of the decal from 100 to 0 - which then allowed the patch image to show

I could have just had a blue thom model (surface color), and then only decreased the color percent for the patch image so that the surface color would show

The thom model might have some funny normals (pointing wrong way)? If so, that might account for some of the wireframe patche images having variation in how they rendered in intensity. Otherwise I don't know why that would be.

wireturn5NompthickerNoalphahalfspeed.mov

wireframepatchimage.jpg

wireimagescreen.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Select all cps of your model, right click/add image - the image is a solid surrounded by black on all sides. It will give you a wireframe look (except for 5 pointers - will look like triangular faces)

For this example, I also decaled the thom model (blue) & then I varied the percent of the decal from 100 to 0 - which then allowed the patch image to show

I could have just had a blue thom model (surface color), and then only decreased the color percent for the patch image so that the surface color would show

The thom model might have some funny normals (pointing wrong way)? If so, that might account for some of the wireframe patche images having variation in how they rendered in intensity. Otherwise I don't know why that would be.

Thanks...I was impressed. I think i may have to go with the render of 2 videos. One in wireframe and one textured, then use a 3rd party to dissolve between the two. I am trying to get a full wireframe model...

Appreciate your input..

Pierre

I think i may have to go with the render of 2 videos. One in wireframe and one textured, then use a 3rd party to dissolve between the two. I am trying to get a full wireframe model...

Even tho you'll be going with dissolving in some video editor, I wanted to satisfy myself to see if it could be done all in A:M - I tried to get a full wireframe version transitioning into a full color version, using the "render as lines" feature. This could probably also be used with textured model, with a bit of tweaking.

wireturn5Nomprenderlinescolorchangeh264sloloop.mov

renderaslines.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I think i may have to go with the render of 2 videos. One in wireframe and one textured, then use a 3rd party to dissolve between the two. I am trying to get a full wireframe model...

Even tho you'll be going with dissolving in some video editor, I wanted to satisfy myself to see if it could be done all in A:M - I tried to get a full wireframe version transitioning into a full color version, using the "render as lines" feature. This could probably also be used with textured model, with a bit of tweaking.

Very cool. Do you have the project to study it?

Pierre