Hash, Inc. Forums

How do you make a ski lift work?

I have modeled a ski lift chair attached to a cable. I put in a path thinking i could constrain to it and the bones would carry the chair around the path. My problem is how to make the chair and cable move around the path. I have tried a few different relationship ideas - translate to, spin like, orient like, constraint to path - but haven't got it to work yet. I'm sure it is the wrong combination of relationships. Do i need to use cloth? I admit i don't know anything about cloth yet other than the flag waving tutorial. Here is an embedded project. Thank You.

ski_lift_embed_all.prj

I'm still at work so I can't look at the prj file, but do you have to even move the cable? I know in reality the cable would move but you just have to make the viewer "think" its moving. A ring or loop made to look like a coil in the cable, but attached to the moving chair would give that illusion.

Simply use a path constraint for each of the chairs and just fake the cable or else you will have to constrain each of those cable bones individually to the path and then animate the ease of each bone in an Action.

ChairLift.mov

ChairLift_02a.mov

(Oops! I have somehow offset the chairs from their path but you get the idea.)

I get knowledge from Hash forum for a long time, but never ask or post because of my English language,

This is my first post, please forgive me if I do something wrong.

I get ... " ski_lift_embed_all.prj " ...used Dynamic Constraint, and here it is

SkiLeft_001.gif

I'm sorry I can't explain in English, this is the project file.

ski_lift_embed_all_re01.prj

• Hash Fellow
I get knowledge from Hash forum for a long time, but never ask or post because of my English language,

This is my first post, please forgive me if I do something wrong.

Welcome to the forum! If you ever have a question, this is the place to ask!

I get ... " ski_lift_embed_all.prj " ...used Dynamic Constraint, and here it is

that looks wonderful!

Thanks, Bobby, that looks really nice. I will definately use a dynamic constraint.

Thanks for the suggestions Paul and Paradymx. If I can't get the cable itself to move i will try to fake it.

I'd really like to get the cable to move around the path, though. I've been looking at and trying to do method #1 in the second entry here: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...l=bicycle+chain . There used to be a project to inspect about this method in the 4th entry here - http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...eyor+distortion - but it doesnt exist anymore. There is further description in the 8th entry, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. Does anyone have the project referenced in the 4th entry? Or could describe the process in better detail? If not Im going to try method #2 in that 1st link. I believe that is the alternative you suggested Paul. I haven't attempted that one and would love any additional advice.

I've attached what I've attempted using Method #1. I know my shaped cable looks funny, but I'm more interested in trying to get the process to work. I'll clean it up later.

Thanks again for past and future help.

Jeff

ski_lift_embed_all__2.prj

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help Bobby and Robcat. I've been working on Bobby's method this last week, when I haven't been sick. I've had some trouble understanding/using Chor Range, Crop Range, cycle, etc, but am getting closer/better. I also plan to try Robcat's suggestion, but wanted to make sure I thanked you before time got away from me and it was long in the past. Thanks again.

• Hash Fellow

You're welcome!

Thanks for your help Bobby and Robcat. I've been working on Bobby's method this last week, when I haven't been sick. I've had some trouble understanding/using Chor Range, Crop Range, cycle, etc, but am getting closer/better.

This tut discuss those parameters

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=345494

• 3 weeks later...

I sorry, I can't explain detail in English.

When use Filter > Animation > Optimize... (for reduce file size),

GIMP auto set to combine. If I set to Replace it look like this.

Fix_Joint_a0000_Dif_Replace.gif