Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Adding seamless IK FK to TSM2

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Mark Skodacek figured this out. Thanks, Mark!

It's a small matter of adding a few constraints to already existing relationships in TSM2.

In the PWS>your model>Relationships>User Properties Relationships>1 right arm Relationships>1 right arm FK/IK Relationships...

-edit "Relationship 1" (in some TSM2 models this may display as "Error Loading String: 50021")

-add the following constraints to 1 right arm IK control

-- Translate to... 1 right hand control. Change its enforcement curve to "Hold" interpolation, and set the curve values as to 100% at the start and 0% at the end. (the attached JPG shows this particular curve)

-- Orient like... 1 right hand control. Change its enforcement curve to "Hold" interpolation, and set the curve values as to 100% at the start and 0% at the end.

-add the following constraint to 1 right lower arm

-- Kinematic Chain To... 1 right arm IK control. Change its enforcement curve to "Hold" interpolation. Leave its curve values as default with 0% at the start, 100% at the end.

-add the following constraints to 1 right hand control

-- Translate to... 1 right arm IK control. Change its enforcement curve to "Hold" interpolation. Leave its curve values as default.

-- Orient like... 1 right arm IK control. Change its enforcement curve to "Hold" interpolation. Leave its curve values as default.

TSM2_IK_FK_additions.JPG

close the Relationship 1 edit window

Do the above maneuver for the left arm also.

Save your character. (Do i need to tell you not to save over your original?)

In my chor, when I'm using this alteration, I change the interpolation of the "right/left arm FK/IK channels" to "Hold". (These are found inthe "User Properties" folder for your model... in the chor)

In regular TSM2 you could/needed to transition from IK to FK by making similar poses with each on successive frames. This is no longer necessary with seamless IK/FK and you should always set the "right/left arm FK/IK"slider to either 0% or 100% or it will not force the keys it needs to force for the process to work.

Those keys are very important to prevent unexpected results on animation already keyed. When going from IK to FK I switch the slider to FK then back to IK then back to FK to make sure everything about both states of the arm is keyed in place. It takes all of three seconds.

Vice versa when going from FK to IK.

I used this addition to TSM2 on my Shaggy for my BUS STOP animation and it seemed to be quite robust and very helpful, but it is possible to create confusing results for some one who does not use it carefully. This new IK/FK addition will probably not be 100% compatible with animation you have done previously using TSM2.

It is probably possible to incorporate these additions into a "model" that is imported into an existing TSM2 character although I haven't investigated this.

I'm sure it's also possible to do a similar upgrade for the legs and I bet Mark will figure that out for us, too!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an import relationship model that updates the relationships for the arms, that's an easy one to update. For the legs, I needed to update the script for the FK/IK switching, it needed an extra bone for it to work.

I think I have an import model for the legs too, but you have to manually parent the bones correctly.