Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rigging a book with pages

• Hash Fellow

One approach to rigging a book with pages that need to turn and not look like cardboard. I did this for Kevin Detwiler's "Adventures with Boomer" show.

RiggingABook.mov

Here's a shaded render of the book and page turn in action. The edges of the pages were set to "render as line" so they would appear to have slight thickness as real pages do.

pageturn.mov

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice tutorial! Looks like you've got a spline weighted weird on the back cover near the spine of the book, though; there's a bit of a kink. (Unless that was intentional!)

• Hash Fellow
Nice tutorial! Looks like you've got a spline weighted weird on the back cover near the spine of the book, though; there's a bit of a kink. (Unless that was intentional!)

Yes. I saw that last night and wondered how I could have missed it all this time! Then I thought maybe it's because the work was all done in V13 and now I was loading it into v16.

So this morning I tried loading it in v13 and v16 and they look the identical... except now the problem is on the other side. :o

Spine.JPG

There must be something odd about that model.

• Hash Fellow

Mystery solved i think. The problem CPs are on the same side of the book in both videos but the book is flipped between the two. They are mistakenly weighted to a page bone rather than the cover bone. When I re-weight them to the cover bone the book looks correct.

Fortunately this was only slightly visible in the finished animation.

• 1 year later...

Quick follow-up question ... if one were to try to create their own book, is there a plug-in to duplicate both geometry (splines, in this case a page) and bones? I couldn't find one, but I thought I'd ask on the off chance I was just looking in all the wrong places. I'm guessing that the duplication of both page geometry and bones would be a manual process.

(Note: I've also looked at jason1025's book, which has 64 individual double-sided pages but neither bones nor multiple segments per page.)

• Hash Fellow
Quick follow-up question ... if one were to try to create their own book, is there a plug-in to duplicate both geometry (splines, in this case a page) and bones?

I don't think there's a plugin but...

-you can model and bone one page,

-then in the PWS create another new model

-drag the first model onto the second model for as many copies as you need

-in bone mode, use the translate manipulator with CTRL held down to move the root bone of each page to an appropriate location and bring its mesh with it.

Although the bones are in identical spots you can use the PWS to select the one you want

Bones names get duplicated but with incremented numbers after them

It is 6 minutes long... but the book appears at :30. This is all A:M and AE. A very dry script enfused by animation.

Excellent animation, graphics, terrific job, impressive...but oh yes...very, very, verrrrry dry script...

Perhaps different background music, with more variation, could have helped break the monotony of the sound track?

The loopy, repetitive, hard beat nature of the background music became annoying for such a long trailer, and the type of music didn't fit well with the sensibilities of the culture, or message, even though the narrator also had a loopy, repetitive, hard beat nature to his voice.

• Admin

Very nice presentation Matt. I even recognized one of the products displayed, Ororamin C, a popular energy drink in Japan.

I didn't think it was dry at all but that may be because of familiar stylings and sensibilities I've grown accustomed to while watching Japanese TV.

350 years huh? We should all live that long. ;)

Very educational.