Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NancyGormezano

Website differences based on browser

FYI - I noticed that the new web site now adjusts better to screen size - however it looks like Firefox (3.6.3) - still looks funny in the menu. (I've reloaded, reset, etc). IE looks good.

My screen res is 1152 x 864

IE1152.jpg

Firefox1152.jpg

FYI - I noticed that the new web site now adjusts better to screen size - however it looks like Firefox (3.6.3) - still looks funny in the menu. (I've reloaded, reset, etc). IE looks good.

My screen res is 1152 x 864

I implemented a new functionality, that zooms the website.

For IE it is quite easy, because there is a simple CSS-adjustment-method to zoom. (body.style.zoom).

By adjusting the text-size and the zoom-functionality with JS, it is relativly easy to zoom the website to the needed sizea and still offer a readable textsize.

This method is however not W3C-comform, so I had to find another algorithm for FF. Since I am using CSS background-images and CSS rollover-helpers (instead of javascript once), I had to find a way to zoom those background-images too. The solution is only available in CSS3 and CSS3-compatible browsers.

The FireFox algorithm is based on a quite new CSS3-statement called background-size and scaling of all images on the website "manually". However it seems , as if 3.6 didn't support t. There it was still "-moz-background-size". I added those browserspecific statements and hope it is working for 3.x versions of FireFox too now. Older version are not supported, so I had to deactive the zooming for them.

By the way: If you don't want the zooming, you can deactivate it at the bottom of the page too. (will only be visible if zooming is necessary on your computer)

Thanks for letting me know Nancy. I am already using FF4 and didn't think of the fact, that FF3 had many CSS3-properties only implement using browser-prefixes.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: Please be aware, that even wit this, it is still best to use screen resolutions of at least 1280*1024px to visit the website.