Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Perfect Hole in Cylinder

UNGLAUBLICHUSA

<_ didn want to start a new thread since this is close enough what i trying wrap my mind around. not only cut perfect circle hole in cylinder that could be done with booleans. along seam so the seamed sides can split apart leaving curved disc intact. all of splining attempts leave me an obvious due bias no longer matching cylinders curves. said......i make both halfs circles using lathed splines but it renders part patched attached. able do semi effect being move sections must. am attching currently looks like and how think solve cyliner holes problem left create has same curvature as when virtually seamless>

Any Ideas?

Open_Effect.jpg

Closed_Effect.jpg

Bias_Abomination_Render.jpg

New_Way_Closed.jpg

New_Way_Open.jpg

New_Way_Render___no_splines.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe they aren't more complicated than my current solution.....I guess it comes down to how my brain works. I want to ensure I have depth so when I cut through a 2 sided object there are inner walls.....and then - booleans and models each need their own bones so thats double the bones.....more complication than when I can just give each part a bone minus the boolean. I'm sure someone else could do a better way out. This is what I came up with - several extendable sections - at each circle (hole/cover). I plan to do this for accesss panels also:

P.S. when those circles open up they retract inside and a light comes out to fit the hole.

Robo_Body.jpg

• Admin

Personally, I think you've come up with a good solution here.

It follows the old rule of, 'If it works, it works.'

If you weren't going to have the cover remain or if you weren't going to have the tops and bottoms lift off I think there would be a good case for using booleans cutters. Each case will dictate the best approach for you and if animating the hatch it may be best to model it as you are doing.

My initial thought was to create three versions of the same model and hide those areas you don't need while animating all three. This might not work so well if you need thinkness in the walls so that'd push me back toward the use of booleans. Thinking about it more, three models with booleans... hidden or deleted parts as necessary would be yet another approach.

So far so good. :)

I want to cut a perfect circle in a cylinder...

This is my best modeling suggestion. (You might be able to get away without the second spline ring from the round cutout.) The minor variations in the specular reflection shows it's not absolutely boolean perfect but it's dang close. The second image is unfiltered splinage while the third has normals averaged using "porcelain". I didn't split the cylinder but I think that should be straightforward using this layout.

Does someone have a simpler solution...

OH! You wanted simple! :rolleyes: Sorry, you can't always expect "simple" if you want a certain level of quality.

capped_cylinder_hole_splines.jpg

capped_cylinder_hole.jpg

capped_cylinder_hole_smoothed.jpg