Hash, Inc. Forums

action blending arms problem

John Bigboote

In the attached movie you will see a problem I keep running into with my TSM2 rigged characters (have not tried this on a non-TSM2 character)

Basicly, I am trying to blend 2 actions together. 1 is a walk cycle repeated 3 times, the other is a 'handshake' action... so basically I want the character to walk up and shake hands. Everything is working right in the meld from 1 action to the other except for the arms- which raise to the Tpose in the blend then drop to where they were supposed to be going suddenly.

I have tried this using FK and IK arms with the same results. I also have tried different blend modes (replace, add, blend) with unsatisfactory results. Can anyone tell what I might be doing to get this motion-artifact?

Movie, model, actions and project attached. THANK-YOU

action_blending_arms_problem_example.mov

action_blending_arms_problem_example.zip

Ken_DeWitt_walky.act

Ken_handshaker.act

Ken_DeWitt2.mdl

Ahhhh- I think i am 'on' to the prollum... and as per usual- it is of my own making!

I got into a habit a while back ( bad habits are my vice ) that was to make a 'master' pose (called ANIMATE READY) that would essentially get the model all geared-up the way I like it to begin animating (constraints, TSM2 options such as IK arms, knee pointers ON etc) and I would usually take the character out of the Tpose at that point into something more relaxed... WRONG! I deleted all the keyframes for the way I had the arms posed and now i am getting a better 'meld' from action to action. The extra data was the culprit... at least I think- still esperimentin!

That WAS it. Neverminds! (What a great animation program A:M is... as I went about this test I kept thinking stuff like 'what if I put a briefcase from my library in there... what if I gave it a dynamic... what if I put another guy in there...etc) Animating with A:M is FUN! I'm glad I worked this little hitch out... actually been bothering me for YEARS!

action_blending_arms_problem_example.mov

• Admin

Nicely resolved Matt.

...and a really nice animation too. :)

I get so focused sometimes that just writing a problem down can lead to a solution for me. It helps me run through what it is that I'm doing and see better ways of doing it. In the same way, I appreciate that you took the time to post this to the forum because now we all gain from your experience.

Domo arigato gozaimashita!

• 1 month later...

I've got a similar question as I've never dealt with combining actions. I've got my geckos dancing, and I want to segue from one dance step into another, but the two actions don't seem to want to blend smoothly. Do the actions need to overlap on the timeline? Do I want "Blend", "Replace" or "Add"? I have a workaround in mind if I can't get this to work but I would like to understand the process better.

• Hash Fellow

The easiest way is to have the end of one action match the beginning of the next.

Barring that, in the case of two dance steps i presume they have the same tempo?

I'd overlap them and use Blend. You can key the "Blend Ratio" property from 0% to 100% to fade the second one in smoothly.