Hash, Inc. Forums

Fluid model

bubba

• Hash Fellow
I have been working with this project for some time and cannot seem to get it to look any better. Here are the settings:

Screen_shot_2011_04_22_at_2.02.06_PM.jpg

and here is the output:

Fluids3.mov

10 years ago people would have killed to be able to do that in A:M! I like the way the pool spreads. There may be a way to get the jitter to stop but I haven't investigate fluids greatly yet.

However, 5cm seems large for a fluid particle, that's like 2 inches. I'd try smaller, which may mean more particles are needed.

Fluids particles do well for when the fluid is falling and splashing, but are not as well suited to bodies of water that have come to rest. Some slight-of-hand transition to a traditional model might serve better for that.

The pool spread is controlled by Object Collison>slide property. Sort of of a friction brake. Fluids are so new that there is no technical information nor 3rd party books describing it.

I changed the particle size from 5 cm to 3 cm.

Fluids5.mov

• Hash Fellow
The pool spread is controlled by Object Collison>slide property. Sort of of a friction brake. Fluids are so new that there is no technical information nor 3rd party books describing it.

I changed the particle size from 5 cm to 3 cm.

Fluids5.mov

That's pretty good looking goo. It's like the old Sherwin-Williams Paint logo.

How about 1cm, and make the emitter much, much flatter so it isn't shooting in so many direction.

But it is still "gooey" looking. I have spent about 6 or 7 hours playing with the different settings. Not sure if I have learned anything. I borrowed a model from HomeSlice's tutorial on bubbles and tried to make a volcano. At one point things went very screwy. Somehow three of the drivers were doubled. How it happened I don't quite know. I am going to take a break for Easter. This is where I am leaving it.

Fluids6bn.mov

Ideally you're going to want the fluid particles to be as small as possible, depending on the type of fluid you want to simulate. For free-flowing liquids, i.e. water, milk, alcohol, you should have them under .5 cm. Maybe as low as .2cm.

.5cm - 1.5 cm: paint, liquid caramel or chocolate, motor oil, etc

Where you are now, 3cm-5cm is better suited for "clumpy" or "chunky" liquids: grape jelly, lava, vomit, raw sewage, etc.

Of course, the scale of your simuation needs to be taken into account, too. If you're simulating water being poured into a glass, then .2cm particles are good. If you're trying to simulate a 100 ft section of a creek flowing, then you should definitely make them bigger.

It's relative. Think of them as 3d pixels. The more of them you have, the better it's going to look.

Ok I am starting to freak out over this. Aren't there supposed to be drivers for an object's properties. Well today I do not see them (and I don't think I did anything other than try to add something to the volcano model.)

Screen_shot_2011_04_24_at_6.20.28_PM.jpg

and instead of getting the same animation as displayed above, I get this!

Screen_shot_2011_04_24_at_6.20.40_PM.jpg

I took several shots of the screen. The properties panel looks grayed out, not blue for change.

Screen_shot_2011_04_24_at_7.11.10_PM.jpg

I added some of the time line. For the hi-lighted property - rate of emission, no line.

Screen_shot_2011_04_24_at_7.12.31_PM.jpg

Now for the new streak emitter here is the chor

Screen_shot_2011_04_24_at_7.25.52_PM.jpg

and the drivers are there.

But!, after closing (and saving) the project and quitting A:M and re-opening, they are gone!. If I select a property and enter the same value the driver spline for that property is back. That is not good because I had changed the value of several properties over time.

• Hash Fellow
I took several shots of the screen. The properties panel looks grayed out, not blue for change.

They will be gray until you make some change in the chor.

and the drivers are there.

But!, after closing (and saving) the project and quitting A:M and re-opening, they are gone!. If I select a property and enter the same value the driver spline for that property is back. That is not good because I had changed the value of several properties over time.

I'd have to see you do it to follow it better.

But why should the ones I have changed in the past not show up as blue (that is the color of the changed property) and why isn't there an asterisk indicating that I have changed it?

I will try to get a movie capture what I see happening.

• Hash Fellow
But why should the ones I have changed in the past not show up as blue (that is the color of the changed property) and why isn't there an asterisk indicating that I have changed it?

Now, there's a mystery! On the face I'd say something is wrong.

i have encountered a few where's-the-asterisk situations but haven't nailed them down yet.

That is what I thought also. But viscosity might control how particles fall through the air. Under Object Collision is a property Slide that "might" just control how particles flow over other objects.