Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Firefly

Gerry

Anyone else here miss "Firefly"? The Science Channel is re-running it on Sundays at 10PM. When they first started promoting it a few weeks back the ads said "All New!" and I felt positively woozy at the thought...then I realized they meant "All new" for the Science Channel. Too much to hope for, really, but if you liked the show, the reruns are just fine!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Firefly" is one of my favorite TV series. Extremely good stuff...at least to me. Of course, I recommend watching it from the beginning for the character development...it has a lot more impact that way. Once you've watched the series, then you can check out the movie "Serenity". I made the mistake initially of watching the movie first, but I re-watched it after seeing the series...which worked a lot better.

This is a great sci-fi show from Joss Whedon. I'm not much of a Whedon fan otherwise, never seen Buffy, The Dollhouse, etc. (actually I tried watching the Dollhouse, but, really, ick!) but Firefly is a terrific show that perfects the "cowboys and spaceships" theme. I've downloaded a couple of episodes from the iTunes store, but I'm not really comfortable watching "TV" on the computer while sitting in my studio, so I've never watched them all the way through. Having them back on TV is great!

It was on Fox, which killed it mid-season (I think?) for no good reason. It was there and then it was gone. I also bought the set of dvd's, then loaned them to a friend who I later lost touch with.

the Movie "Serenity" was a mediocre attempt to tie up loose ends, finish the story and wring out a few more bucks, but for fans it was poorly concieved and not much fun.

Last night's episode was a good one, which begins with a bleeding, gutshot Captain Reynolds crawling through a darkened Serenity, all alone, with a crucial engine part that only he can install.

Throughout, the story of the Serenity and its crew are told in flashback, bringing the story right up to the present. Top-notch writing that tells the whole backstory of the ship and the characters and their relationships.

The captain's character, Malcolm Reynolds, is exactly how I've always imagined my Colfax character from "Nightcallers". In fact the friend to whom I loaned the dvd's is an actor who I always imagined playing Colfax in the movie.

I've got a completely separate screenplay idea which is also about Colfax as a retired private investigator, coming out of retirement to solve a murder on a distant mining planet. I'll write up a description and post it here someday!

It's a real bummer that Firefly was never allowed to grow. I didn't watch it until it came out on DVD. My sister was a big Buffy fan and a Suncoast employee pointed out to me that they'd accidentally listed the pre-order for the Firefly series set at something ridiculously cheap (Maybe $4.99?), so I ordered one for my sister for Christmas. I toyed with ordering one for me, but didn't. I ended up watching my sister's set and having to pay regular price for my own set. Then I bought it again when they released it on Blu-Ray. I ended up buying Serenity 3 times. I bought the DVD, the HD-DVD (Oh, the shame...) and then Blu-Ray.

Nathan Fillian was definitely a big part of why the show was great and he's great on Castle, too.

In fact, they drop lots of Firefly references and nods into episodes of Castle (including Castle dressing up in Mal's costume for Halloween.) Sure enough, I found a website with clips of seven of them.

Cool link Mark! I've tried to watch "Castle" but it just didn't grab me. Fun to watch those references though.

The "I was aiming for his head" line has been used on "The Mentalist", to great effect!

I like Castle a lot. I'm not into all of the CSI stuff, but Castle's plots are like old fashioned mysteries with bizarrely-themed murders and a lot of humor. Plus, the actress who plays Beckett is pretty hot. :-)

This link's only for the hardcore browncoats, but there's a fan-written extended version of the theme song called "Mal's Song" that's been circulating for many years. I had it on my iPod for a long time. You can hear it

(over video clips.)

Always makes me a bit misty-eyed. :-)