Hash, Inc. Forums

Pidgin on HASH

Larry J B

Hello:

I still use A:M occasionally and (yes, still) working on a project that will probably be more of a composite A:M and live action.

ICQ, etc.

I did find that Facebook has added support for XMPP Format (that Pidgin supports). So, loading a MSN Messenger type program I can keep people on my Facebook account as if they were on a friends list.

Without starting anything (cause it is not my intent) is it possible to request A:M to look into implementing an XMPP Chat protocol so I can create a Hash account and keep in touch with other A:M Users better?

Thanks

-Larry B

• Hash Fellow

I don't know how likely such a thing is, but your best way to keep in contact with A:M users is here on the forum since this is where anyone who is interested will check in eventually.

I actually don't like "live" contacts since they usually interrupt me when I'm doing something. But that's me.

• Admin

Great to see you Larry! :)

Is it possible to request A:M to look into implementing an XMPP Chat protocol so I can create a Hash account and keep in touch with other A:M Users better?

You just did (unofficially).

If you are suggesting the protocol be added to A:M the way to do that would be to add a feature request via A:M Reports.

How many A:M Users do you currently keep in contact with on a recurring basis?

Do you know roughly how many you'd be able to chat with if your request was implemented?

Without starting anything (cause it is not my intent)

You've lost me here... Did you just cancel your request?

Well, I'm not sure about the submit feature thing. Just know that when I am in an unproductive mode I can open pidgin and be 'available' to chat.

My only real communication is with (extremely rare) forums. and A:M Chat.

If implemented I would be able to chat with anyone that wants to as I will be able to see them online more often. Just like I don't keep Firefox open and logged into Facebook all the time for chat (and don't) I have been able to keep in better communication with those that log in on FB when I am logged into pidgin.

So, if implemented, I can see people logged in and easier to keep in chat with others even when A:M is closed.

Ever since a:m came out with chat I always thought how much more useful it would be if it were a stand-alone app instead of embedded within the production software.

I have been able to catch up with Denbo, (still hunting Billy (wegg) down. I know where he hides but never catch him online. Other than that, that's about all.

I'm not sure what happened to the video tutorial I did YEARS back but hope that it is still floating around and helpful.

And about the not wanting to stir things up, I'm sure you remember some of the volatile topics that have come up in the past.

• Admin
And about the not wanting to stir things up, I'm sure you remember some of the volatile topics that have come up in the past.

I remember a lot of silliness and stubbornness, yes.

What is fascinating from the view of hindsight being 20/20 is when looking back at those discussion they all seem rather tame.

People do tend to get sensitive when discussing issues that are important to them or imagine they've been offended.

My suggestion: Get over it. Otherwise it's all zero sum gain.

If by tutorials you mean to say your Qvids... I believe I last saw them on the Extra DVD? (That was the DVD you helped launch BTW!)

Those lessons are great for getting up to speed quickly in A:M. We should record those and get those up on the youtube channel.

Regarding chat...

Chat is good, but if you want A:M action, right here in the forum is where the action is.

Pull up a comfy chair, relax and sit a spell. :)

Skype would work well. I don't suppose there is a collection of usernames for people in Skype.

I think it is Skype that also offers a 'share my screen' which would enable a person (if they wanted) to give short 1 on 1 visual help.

Don't know if there is a skype video recorder that can record the screen (and offer to share visual help/mini tutorials).

As for the quick videos. They were my first attempt at something like that with limited resources. I gotta ge tthe old system setup and see if I kept the AVI format videos. I'm a little dissapointed with them. Too long, could have been edited down, etc. But it may be good for a dual monitor and follow along.