Hash, Inc. Forums

Break Room

itsjustme

Here is the beginnings of the second set...the break room. The room has two doors leading to a hallway (one door is shown here), the floor, baseboard and acoustical ceiling tile. I put the chair in the shot as a visual reference...eventually, there will be at least six tables with six chairs per table, kitchen cabinets, sink, soda machine, emergency lights, light fixtures, fire extinguisher, coffee maker, etc.

Of course, it's not lit properly yet, but I wanted to show a little forward movement on this.

break_room_04_06_2011.png

Great looking set David.

Since it is an AO render, I rendered the room without the ceiling, then rendered the ceiling and composited them together.

Have you tried setting the ceiling model to Options > Cast Occlusion > Off ?

I was under the impression that if you do this, you don't have to render twice and composite.

Great looking set David.

Since it is an AO render, I rendered the room without the ceiling, then rendered the ceiling and composited them together.

Have you tried setting the ceiling model to Options > Cast Occlusion > Off ?

I was under the impression that if you do this, you don't have to render twice and composite.

Hmmm, I haven't tried that, Holmes. I'll do some messing with that. Thanks!

I tried some experimenting with having the ceiling set to "Cast Occlusion/Off"...I'll need to do some more experimenting to see if I can get better results than I have so far. Here's an image done using the previous method, so, the lighting is inaccurate, but it will show what's in the room at this point. Still a lot to do.

break_room_04_08_2011.png

Since you are experimenting with AO & the ceiling, perhaps you might try FAKEAO to see how that might work? Won't be the same of course, but it's a quick test. I don't know if it would suit you, but you might see some possibilities to cut down on your render time.

I too am curious, what kind of render time are you getting ?

Whats rendertime on all the chairs?

It took about thirty minutes for an AO render (plus about fifteen minutes for the ceiling render)...my laptop isn't the fastest. I rendered using v15 on a 32 bit OS as well. I'm thinking it would be a lot faster in v16 on a 64 bit system. Also, the backgrounds will get rendered once per angle instead of every frame...which should save time in an animation render.

The patch count for this room is 108,327 at the moment...of course, it'll end up being a lot more than that.

• 2 months later...

Here's a "take a breath" image before I model the sink...which will be added to the cabinets. The doors and drawers are rigged, there is an interior with shelves as well. When I get more modeled, I'll do some more angles. The lighting hasn't been put in yet, so this is an AO render with the ceiling removed.

break_room_cabinets_07_05_2011.png

Did you try using negative lights?

I haven't done any actual lighting yet, I'll be doing that once I get things modeled, Jeff. So far, I've only used AO to get a rough idea of whether the modeling looks the way it should.

What? No waste trap?

Are you going to run fluid particles through your plumbing to check for leaks? ;)

Amazing detail, David! :)

There's a single 'P' trap in the center...although I didn't make it with screw connectors. I copied it from an actual sink. And yes, I'm being a little ridiculous, but I'm leaving myself the ability to open those doors in future animations in the break room. At the moment, I'm planning on opening the refrigerator and at least two other things I haven't made yet.

Thanks for the encouragement Paul, Myron and Jason.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to power through the largest part of the modeling so I can get to lighting and texturing things...there are at least six more things to model before I get there. I figure that I'll probably keep adding little objects to make the sets look "lived in" as I go along as well.

Out of curiosity ... Are there separate objects assembled in a chor, or are you modelling one big object for the set? Or modelling separate objects, and then importing them all into one object?

P.S. I am completely fascinated and in awe, but feel repetitive if I say that each and every time you post something new.

Out of curiosity ... Are there separate objects assembled in a chor, or are you modelling one big object for the set? Or modelling separate objects, and then importing them all into one object?

When a model gets to around 10,000 patches, I start breaking it up into smaller models. In the break room, for instance, the cabinets are separated into upper and lower with the doors for each being separate models, the countertop and sink are a single model (2,282 patches), the floor (15,287 patches...it had to be a single piece) is separate from the baseboard (6,180 patches), the ceiling tiles are broken up into two models and the ceiling tile frame is two models. The refrigerator is actually a single model (7,657 patches).

Everything is then assembled in the Choreography. The easiest way is to model everything in the location it will be, at the moment I only have a couple of things that require Actions (chairs and tables, those are multiple instances of the same models).

P.S. I am completely fascinated and in awe, but feel repetitive if I say that each and every time you post something new.

I have the same problem when posting to threads, especially when I can't find something to critique...I run out of ways to say how much I like it. I generally wait until a significant amount has changed before posting again.

When I post an update, I'm sort of making a mental bookmark for where I'm at on whatever it is...it becomes my "if things go wrong, I can always start over from this point". It's also positive reinforcement, showing myself how much I've gotten finished and the renders are made mainly to make sure I didn't miss anything...doubling as something I can post.

I appreciate any feedback or critique I get, but I don't expect it, Chris.

Fabulous microwave! Now you're cooking! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Still more to do.
Some things for consideration (if you haven't thought of them already) ... Paper towel roll and holder? Some junk on top of the fridge? How about one of those plate domes that prevent food splatters for the microwave? A bottle of dish detergent and a sponge? Some copies of comics on the wall (I'd suggest Dilbert if it were a software development office)?

ETA: A box of Tim Horton's donuts. A newspaper. Some magazines. Coffee pot/maker. Tea bags, coffee stirs, sugar packets.

Still more to do.
Some things for consideration (if you haven't thought of them already) ... Paper towel roll and holder? Some junk on top of the fridge? How about one of those plate domes that prevent food splatters for the microwave? A bottle of dish detergent and a sponge? Some copies of comics on the wall (I'd suggest Dilbert if it were a software development office)?

ETA: A box of Tim Horton's donuts. A newspaper. Some magazines. Coffee pot/maker. Tea bags, coffee stirs, sugar packets.

I'll be adding a lot more incidental objects as I go along, Chris. For now I'm just going to worry about a coffee pot, dishwasher, soda machine and television. Once those are finished, I'll light the room and start to texture what I've got. Then, I'll go back and add things as I make them.

----------------

EDIT

----------------

I forgot to mention the light fixtures...those will need to be done before I light the set as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Okay, I'll dust a few things off in this thread and then post an update.

Here's the soda machine and approximately where it will be located in the break room.

I use these renders to find things that need fixing...the break room tabletop edge looks like it could use some tweaking in the shot of the room. I'll be going back and tweaking the modeling on everything just before I texture each object. At this point, I may see about lighting the room so that I can get a better idea of how things will end up looking and give some thought to the textures.

Lots more to do, of course.

soda_machine_07_10_2012.png

break_room_07_10_2012.png

• 1 year later...
thats a really good start! did you use a light dome? looks like it when i look at the shadows of the salt and pepper thingys on the table. how long did it take to render?

I used eight bulb lights for each light fixture (so, a lot of lights), the lights are set to cast five rays for the shadows, which also jacks up the render time and the light fixtures and ceiling are brightened up with about a 95% and 45% setting on their "Ambiance" respectively. The render time was pretty crazy (about ten hours at 1080 HD size), but that will come down a lot as I go along. The render times for the room don't concern me very much since I'll be rendering angles once then compositing in characters, etc.

I'll have to look at my reference images, but I'm pretty sure the ceiling is too bright and I think using a single klieg for each light fixture will come out better. I think that will give a more realistic look to the lighting. I was trying to make sure there was a flair of light on the ceiling around each fixture when I did this setup, but I'm thinking that wouldn't really be there...I need to check.

It was a first attempt, things should get better. I tend to learn by pulling every lever and pushing every button.

• Hash Fellow

Good looking shot!

For the flourescent light fixture i would suggest using a simulated "area light", a light that is constrained to traverse a spline that approximates the area of the light in a multi pass render.

I don't think it will be any more time consuming than the bulbs, maybe much less so if you use shadow mapped klieg lights (set very wide) and it's easy to scale downh the effect for quick tests by setting the multi pass number to a low value.

I think this lighting is better...it's just a single klieg light for each light fixture (set slightly under each fixture with 179.99 degree cone) with the ambiance of the ceiling tiles at 7% (it could be better and will probably get more tweaking) and 98 percent on the light fixtures. I added some color to most of the groups to try a color scheme...I was trying for something that wouldn't distract from the characters too much. I still have to texture everything, this is sort of a "ballpark" as a starting point. The render took about an hour at 16-pass multipass (although I was doing other things on the computer while it rendered)...the final product will probably use more passes.

break_room_lighting_test_10_26_2013_1080_color_test.png