Hash, Inc. Forums

Free sculpting/painting program

brainmuffin

I recently found this amazing free sculpting program:

http://www.sculptris.com/

I've been using it a lot lately. Here's something I doodled last night:

post-2085-1301874359_thumb.jpg

The sculptures could be useful for making rotoscopes, and modeling reference.

You can also import an .obj that has uvs and paint texture maps with it. I seem to recall someone (possibly Dusan?) exporting A:M models as objs and painting them in zbrush, then using the textures on the original A:M object.

Why are the people who make ZBrush doing this? It seems like overlap of what they already do.

That's a good question, Rob. Two years ago, just to amuse himself, one guy programmed it over six months. He released it for free, and got enough donations to buy himself a laptop within a month.

A few months later, Pixologic hired him, and that's when the download moved to their site.

He's The Mad Hatter.

A friend mentioned him on facebook, so I felt like making him. I started out without any references, but near the end I googled Lloyd Bridges for reference, for the wrinkles. But looking at him now, I think I was mentally referencing a Willy Wonka cartoon and Sid Ceaser. The whole thing took less than an hour, start to finish. I don't know that I could even have sketched a profile of with a pencil that fast...

• Hash Fellow

I thought it was Abe Lincoln. :rolleyes:

A tool like that that would be useful for A:M if i could take a base mesh into it, then paint/sculpt the more specific details and have it create a displacement map that I could pu tback on the base mesh in A:M to make it look like the more detailed version.

Will it do that?

The meshes and textures work fine in A:M as a PROP. The only problem that I have is that PROPs don't work with Ambient Occlusion--otherwise it would be great for just making background objects. The way it generates an adaptive mesh as you sculpt is really cool!

Rob, Last night I briefly played around with it. I was able to get an object from A:M into sculptris and paint on it. I couldn't figure out how to export maps from sculptris, though. But to be fair, I was half asleep.

Will, They don't work with the new screen-based AO either?

Fuchur, I would really like to see the retopology tool developed in A:M. I'd love to be able to bring something like this in and model splines over the top of it...

• 3 weeks later...

Rob:

Blender will do what you're looking to do. You can export an obj from A:M (after you've unwrapped it) import the obj into blender, paint on it, paint displacement in real-time, then export the textures to use in A:M.