Hash, Inc. Forums

HELP with COOKIE Cutter DECAL

The Cookie Cutter is a great Idea. And it seems to work MOST OF THE TIME.

But here is a case where it just breaks down.

I have 1000's of Trees. Where I used rotated cross sections of photos of trees. This produces great looking - fast render.

But there are some trees that do not render correctly. They display the Tree Image and black triangles get added randomly to areas that are transparent.

When doing Locked Render - It displays good --------- But when doing full render the black triangles show up.

It seems to occur as the objects / trees have crossing intersections with other trees. As the Camera moves - the locations where the triangles show up

shift all over / randomly. But the same Cam position will generate the triangle in the same spot each time. So it is not random - so much as it depends upon

view angles or something.

I can upload a smaller project that shows this error if needed.

• 3 months later...

I can't get this to work! I've tried quicktime movie files animation with million colors +, jpegs, TGA sequences 24 bits and 32 bits.

What' the best format to use in AM in order to get the transparency of an image to render?

• Hash Fellow
I can't get this to work! I've tried quicktime movie files animation with million colors +, jpegs, TGA sequences 24 bits and 32 bits.

What' the best format to use in AM in order to get the transparency of an image to render?

Can you post one of the decals?

You and liveimpact may be having different issues. In your case, make sure you actually have an alpha channel in your image knocking out the areas you want to be transparent. I've had the best luck with tga images, but 32bit png images work for me too.

It sounds like liveimpact has proper alpha channels in his images, but there may be a bug which renders black triangles when certain patches intersect. But we can make a better diagnosis with 1) an image showing the problem and 2) a *very simple* project file (with all models, images etc included in the zipped file) which consistently displays the problem.

I managed to get the alpha property for the image sequence, now I get this when I render with a cookie cut out on the object.

The top part of the test object has a TGA sequence applied as a cookie cut out.

The bottom part of the test object has a PNG sequence applied as a cookie cut out.

render.tiff

Hi - Just tried cookie cut with vers 16 (PC, 32bit), using tga and png for decals - there seems to be a difference in rendering using Final, multipass (renders correctly) versus Final, NO multipass (renders incorrectly). Change your render settings for now. I used 5 pass.

Note also there is a difference in color between using png and tga images for the decal due to the way photoshop saves the color info. For PS ver6, the tga image looks accurate (same as image looks in photoshop).

P.s. - It's better to use jpegs, pngs for uploading images to the forum. Tiffs don't show.

CookieCutMPversusNoMP.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano