Hash, Inc. Forums

problem rendering in toon

I did the Flying South tutorial and added a fire and character. When i render in 3d it looks like it should, but if i render in 2d part of my flock flys into an area that lightens the color of the birds. I've attached a still shot of a few birds towards the top of the screen in an area affected by both the lighter and darker. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing the lightening of my birds? I've also attached the project.

Thank You

Jeff

flying_south___d_700___toon___trees___fire___guy60.jpg

flying_south___d_700___no_toon___trees___fire___guy_jpg60.jpg

flying_south14.prj

• Hash Fellow

That PRJ didn't have any of the models included (you have to Project>Embed All) so i couldn't test it, but i suspect that may be a v14 bug. I'm not sure. Does every shot you try to toon render do that?

I don't see it happening in any of my other projects. It does it from every angle/render in this project, though. Here is the project embedded. The more i look at it, I don't think the models are being rendered lighter, but rendered without outlining toon lines. The birds have the toon lines and then when they fly into a certain region the lines disappear.

Jeff

flying_south14_embedded.prj

I've seen posts about hair not rendering correctly in toon mode towards the top of the head. I've experienced that before myself. It didn't line the hair in that one area. I have a hunch these two problems are related. Flocks and hair both need the particle/fur turned on.

test___toon137.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I tried it in v16 and the top still loses its toon lines. I recall this being noted before but I'm not sure if it's been reported.

The cutoff line seems to be the top of the tree in the foreground. If I move it higher the toon lines reach higher on the birds.

Arms90.jpgArms60.jpg

A temporary work around might be to include a thin dummy object near the side of a scene that can be cropped out later.

A temporary work around might be to include a thin dummy object near the side of a scene that can be cropped out later.

If I recall, I believe others have used a background model (eg flat plane, cylinder, dome) to obscure the empty "sky". Perhaps that might help?

• Hash Fellow

If I recall, I believe others have used a background model (eg flat plane, cylinder, dome) to obscure the empty "sky". Perhaps that might help?

I tried that but there was still a non-toon area at the top.

This has happened before, of course, and the most elegant solution is to flip the camera 180 degrees so it renders from the "bottom" up and then rotate it back to normal in photo software or whatever. It seems the toon renderer saves time or something by not starting to render until it hits the top object in the frame. Particles and hair are not objects from the renderer's point of view apparently so they get unlined until that first object is contacted and then it works great.

Alan